Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73775 - 02/12/07 08:49 AM fighting cocks
Sally Joe Offline
Feather

Loc: New York
I need help ! I have 2 roosters and 12 hens. They are all Wyandotts... gold laced, silver penciled, silver laced and blue laced. The two roosters are a silver laced and a blue laced. The silver laced has always seemed to be the dominant one ....I always laughed at the blue laced as he has never crowed much or even completed mating with a hen. He tries but doesn't succeed much ! Yesterday I went out to the coop and the silver laced was all bloody. He has been having his tail feathers picked out occasionally but this was worse than usual. I sprayed some blue coat on him and put him in a cage for the night to help him recover. This morning the blue laced rooster was crowing and acting very aggitated around the other rooster in the cage. Then he started pecking at him till the one in the cage had a bloody comb ! I am not sure what to do . Should I just leave the silver out of the cage and let them duke it out ?( Not what I would choose ) or keep the silver in the cage for a few days and put him back in the coop after dark ? I have to know what to do ...it's obvious I can't leave the rooster in the cage in the coop , so I would have to bring him in the garage or something. It has been extrememly cold here the past week .

Help !! I'm not sure what the appropriate thing to do is and I don't want to create a worse situation ! I feel like I have been spending all day in the coop trying to help these chickens, and things just keep getting worse!

#73776 - 02/12/07 09:37 AM Re: fighting cocks
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
I would decide which rooster I wanted to keep and get rid of the other one. Or split the hens and keep two pens. Rog

#73777 - 02/12/07 09:44 AM Re: fighting cocks
Sally Joe Offline
Feather

Two pens isn't an option at the moment. Guess one rooster is a better solution. I can't spend my whole day babysitting the chickens !

#73778 - 02/12/07 09:55 AM Re: fighting cocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

This happens often as the days get longer and spring is approaching. It is important to always have a spare place available for issues like this or a bird that needs to recover in peace. I'm prepared to split my guys up. But absent that option, one rooster is the way to go.

#73779 - 02/12/07 10:07 AM Re: fighting cocks
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
How large is the cage right now? If it's large enough for the one in the cage to stand up in and walk around in, you may consider putting some cardboard around the cage to keep the other rooster from pecking at him.

I say pick whichever one you want to keep and then find a way to rid yourself of the other one. It is not fair for the other rooster to live in constant fear of another bird. Having separate pens for breeding might be a good idea. Since you can't really put them in two places (as you posted earlier) you may want to try to keep one at another place until you can build another pen to keep one safe. Are they freerange or penned?

#73780 - 02/13/07 06:52 AM Re: fighting cocks
Sally Joe Offline
Feather

Yes the cage is large enough for the rooster to walk around in. The cardboard is a good idea .

This is my first year with chickens so I'm still learning as I go. I've read a ton of information, but there is still nothing like the real experience. At the moment I am trying to deal with extreme cold and a lot of snow so they have been " cooped up " for about a week. I shoveled some snow and let them out the past 2 days for a little fresh air and more space, but we are expecting a big snow storm tonight so it will be back to the coop full time.

In nice weather I will let them free range ..we have 85 acres ..more then enough ! My neighbor has a half dozen roosters and no problems so I figured 2 would be OK. Another neighbor has her chickens in just a plastic "calf house" with no roosts or anything and they seem fine.

It just frustrates me..I go overbaord trying to keep them happy and healthy and I get upset when they start picking on each other ! Actually ,since they were able to be outside yesterday I put the rooster back in the yard and everything was OK . I watched them from my window to make sure he wasn't being picked on and this morning everything is still good. It's funny cause I always thought the rooster that is being picked on was the dominant one and now he's getting beat up ..go figure !

#73781 - 02/13/07 08:28 AM Re: fighting cocks
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello SallyJoe,

I have to agree with Rog and the other posters, 2 roosters and only 12 hens is no good. Keep only 1 or seperate them would also be my advise to spare the birds as well as you from future trouble. Yes, it is frustrating, even more so in the first year, I really understand this;-)

Best greetings,

Joachim

#73782 - 02/13/07 10:12 AM Re: fighting cocks
Boobear7 Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: North Carolina
I tried to have 5 roosters to 30 hens. It was WAY to stressful for all parties involved. 2 for 30 works fine for me. With you only having 12 hens, I too would have to agree with Rog and joachimdippold - find a new home for one of them.
I'm only in my 2nd year with the critters, and everyday is a learning experience!!

#73783 - 02/13/07 11:54 AM Re: fighting cocks
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If you are not planning to raise chicks, you do not need to keep any roosters at all. Laying hens produce=-maybe better--and are much more content without a rooster in their mix. (With most flocks--some hens, do seem to be dependent, but not MOST!) CJR

#73784 - 02/13/07 12:47 PM Re: fighting cocks
Sally Joe Offline
Feather

Thanks for all your input. All's calm in the coop at the moment, although I now know it can change at any time ! Doesn't it seem like all of the problems develope either when it's getting dark and you just want to go in the house and have dinner or in the middle of a snow storm when you have to shovel your way to the coop ?

I know I don't have to have a rooster to get eggs , but I do love to hear that cock-a doodle -doo ! And he keeps a watch over the flock !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn