Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#73844 - 03/14/06 11:44 AM Raw meat?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Strange question, but...we have a freezer full of rabbit meat. Needless to say, I don't cook it much because I think it's gross. Can I feed it raw to the chickens, or do I need to cook it first? It's been cleaned and boned. Any thoughts??
Thanks!
Jennifer

#73845 - 03/14/06 03:45 PM Re: Raw meat?
David T. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
You can feed raw meat to chickens (I do). This is more a question of do you want to feed them raw meat. Mine eat mice and the occasional dead bird so I figure ‘what the heck” and give them raw meat as well. I am sure the will be other here who do not and probably for equally (or more) valid reasons.

Personally, I would eat it myself, my wife cooks a great rabbit stew. wink

David

#73846 - 03/14/06 04:11 PM Re: Raw meat?
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wisconsin
I wouldn't feed them meat... It just doesn't seam right to me. One time my chicken accidenly got a piece of bacon and got sick for a week... But my chickens were allways on a vegie diet. But then again they will eat anything. Hope this helps some, maybe someone else will know?

#73847 - 03/14/06 04:17 PM Re: Raw meat?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Bacon is full of sodium(salt). Raw meat can be good for them, just not a lot at 1 time. I used to hand a coon or woodchuck in the coop and they enjoyed jumping up to get bites. I feed derr scraps to them now that the hounds are all gone. I dont like to waste stuff.

#73848 - 03/15/06 08:03 AM Re: Raw meat?
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Minnesota
Yes, deer scraps, fish scraps, minnows. As long as it's not their main or sole means of nutrition, and not a bit spoiled, raw meat is a good thing.

I guess if they aren't used to it, I'd also cut it up and only offer a bit the first time, enough for every body but not a crop full! Take your video camera, they'll give you a good show!!

#73849 - 03/15/06 09:24 AM Re: Raw meat?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
What a shame that you do not enjoy rabbit meat yourselves. A lot of the world grew up on rabbit meat, still does--now, sometimes I can get one from a 4Her who raises them. Meat markets used to carry them now and then. Meatier than chicken and the same flavor according to the way you prepare it. The restaurant "Hare", a larger rabbit, on menues in Germany, is delectable!

But your chickens will eat it raw or cooked. THey will eat most anything! Don't leave leftovers and bones to attract varmits! (no odd stuff or"garbage" for mine.) Not to worry. CJR

#73850 - 03/15/06 10:05 AM Re: Raw meat?
Greta S. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: California
My chickens LOVE raw meat. I get them lean ground turkey, which is very cheap here. They enjoy it, I enjoy watching them enjoy it, and they get some protein out of it. Raw meat is their treat for when the get let out in the evenings for free-range time.

#73851 - 03/15/06 11:11 AM Re: Raw meat?
Wrancher Girl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wisconsin
(Grrreta) you said, "I get them lean ground turkey" Isn't that allmost like them eating chicken/themselfs? Why don't we just give the rabbit meat to the rabbits then! They are not canabals! I guess I just wouldn't ever give mine meat. If they catch a mouse or eat something dead that's diffrent because it's in there nature. Hmmm I guess we all have diffrent opinions. I was allways taught to never give them meat because they are vegitarians. I'm a strong believer in meat and love to raise and eat it but would never ever give to my chickens...

#73852 - 03/15/06 11:28 AM Re: Raw meat?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
maybe you have never seen a sick hen go down and be consumed by her sisters; chickens are omnivorous.
I don't feed my birds other birds tho.

#73853 - 03/15/06 12:17 PM Re: Raw meat?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Side note on the rabbit-my husband hunts and enjoys eating it very much. Rumor has it I cook a mean rabbit stew! However, with a 4 year old and a 1 year old, I just don't feel much like cooking 3 meals at once to make everyone happy. At least the chickens will be happy!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn