Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#73854 - 03/15/06 01:18 PM Re: Raw meat?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feed my birds whatever is around, but choose not to feed them poultry meat if I can help it. I know, they are omnivorous, but I don't want to encourage any oddity....after all, my psychotic birds would probably turn on each other if I started.....sigh.

Beef, Pork, Fish (oh yes, fish), Rabbit, Squirrel....all good. They kill mice periodically too, so that's okay with me. Most of mine prefer fruits & veggies though.

#73855 - 03/15/06 02:09 PM Re: Raw meat?
Draconus Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Kansas
can i feed my chickens raw meat to help with the growth of new feathers? i have heard of cat food but raw meat would be more readily available for me. thanks in advance for your replys.

#73856 - 03/15/06 03:52 PM Re: Raw meat?
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello Draconus,

You can feed cat-food but it will NOT help molting but HURT your birds health seriously! Itīs poison for chicken, see why:

http://www.the-coop.org/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=002416;p=1#000010

best greetings,

Joachim

#73857 - 03/15/06 05:29 PM Re: Raw meat?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Joachim, I do not feed cat or dog food to my chickens, or any other feeds designed for other animals. But many people do feed cat food to their chickens. I think it is waste of money--they would do just as well on a good grade poultry feed designed for Start-Grow-=Breed-or Lay. People do not eat food that is best for them, either--they are supposed to know better and choose wisely. They do not. Chickens eat what they are given. Perhaps there are ingredients in Cat Food in Europe that is different from major brands in the U.S. Here, it does not seem to be harmful, and some people claim benefits (not me). Just an added thought. . . CJR

#73858 - 03/15/06 06:31 PM Re: Raw meat?
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
If any of my egg customers even suspected that my chickens got meat of any kind, it would be the last egg I ever sold. They ask me to my face, do your birds get meat. I answer no, they get an all natural, 100% vegetarian based chicken food. It says so in big letters right on the feed sack. Customers also ask me, point blank, about the living conditions of my chickens, are they battery caged, free ranged, de-beaked. I tell you, I have to tow the line!

HOWEVER I do not think meat is a bad thing as a chicken will take any opportunity to get some. Here , heaven help the mouse or snake dumb enough to show up in their yard! As for hanging a possum or other carcass, that would cause other problems. Yesterday the conservation officer was at the neighbours house with his gun drawn. Seems a bear has bedded down in neighbours truck canopy that is sitting on the ground. We're all standing around looking at the bear, who is inside looking back. For me to hang up anything dead would be considered bear baiting and conservation guy would show up to shoot me, PLUS bear will destroy a fence to get to dead things! So no meat and all my chicken food is stored INSIDE in my basement, so it does NOT attract bears.

#73859 - 03/15/06 06:47 PM Re: Raw meat?
Anonymous
Unregistered

bear baiting? I thought they were more the nuts and berries type.

#73860 - 03/15/06 06:47 PM Re: Raw meat?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
bear territory is expanding here in Pennsylvania(4200 killed last season, 2005)3 over 8oo pounds in 2004 season) to where it was 250 years ago. We have to watch the bird feeders and bee hives. Things are a pain in a lot of areas.

#73861 - 03/15/06 10:11 PM Re: Raw meat?
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Chikchik:

when I first got chickens I was worried the bears would try to eat them. Not once. But bears are scavengers and opportunists. Anything I throw out to the hens (scraps) must be consumed immediately or I'll have some goofy bear clawing his way into my hen yard to get the scraps. They are nuts and berries types, but also scratch and dog food and garbage and compost piles and layer pellets........

We have all learned not to leave anything laying around that could attract a bear. And if you do something as foolish as hang a fish in your hen yard..look out. First the bear will trash the place and then the conservation guy will charge you and haul you into court. Bear baiting is illegal!

I could make a fortune renting my deck out to European tourists who want to see bears. On any given day you can sit on my deck with a cup of coffee and watch one wander up the driveway, across the lawn, snuffle in the garden and then head to the neighbour's. We phone. We say, bear coming. It's a community phone system.

Amazingly they have never tried to make a meal of any hens, as was my fear. Cannot say the same for coyotes, hawks, eagles and owls! Good for the hens or not, I simply will never take meat out there for the sheer havoc I would bring upon myself. (unless it's winter while the bears are hibernating, hee, hee)

#73862 - 03/16/06 06:10 AM Re: Raw meat?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Hens eat raw meat all the time....we just don't think slugs and bugs are meat....but hens do. I make soap and melt big chunks of fat to render the tallow out of it...and the hens get the left over suet..and gobble it happily. It's true that the woodpeckers and chicadees get some too, and robins, but there's lots, so it doesn't matter.

#73863 - 03/16/06 08:09 AM Re: Raw meat?
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Minnesota
Maybe I'm excedingly naive, but why do people buying eggs care if the hen ate meat?

I guess I should starting getting all bent about stupid stuff, maybe that will lower my stress level.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn