Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#73864 - 03/16/06 08:41 AM Re: Raw meat?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
some people are ?odd? . My mother wont eat brown eggs, wouldnt eat a cake I made with duck eggs,always used to take the germ out of all her eggs when cooking, just something in their mind tells them its different??

#73865 - 03/16/06 09:10 AM Re: Raw meat?
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Minnesota
But, are they so vegetarian that something else eating meat makes them feel that they have just eaten meat? Do they eat beef, but think that an egg from a chicken that ate a worm is contaminated? I know people can be weird about "brown" eggs, as if the color means anything. What would they do with a green or blue eggs, go into orbit? My sister in-law picks out every chalazae. I will if it's really big and would make a weird spot on french toast, cuz they just won't mix in!

I have never eaten duck eggs, not to say I wouldn't, but I bet a million dollars my husband wouldn't!! He used to bring double yolk turkey eggs home, fry them for the dog and the smell was more than I could take, so strong, I probably wouldn't eat them. Maybe it was just the sheer volume. But the dog had the most beautiful fur you've ever seen, glowed like moonbeams on a lake.

#73866 - 03/16/06 10:29 AM Re: Raw meat?
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Gardenchick:

I was surprised at first when people asked if my hens ate meat. Why would it matter? But I have two theories. One, that people who do not keep poultry associate them with cute Easter pictures of adorable, fuzzy, delicate little chicks. Remember Chicken Little, afraid the sky was falling? The story doesn't end with Chicken Little sitting down to a steak dinner. In the minds of these folks, chickens and meat eating do not mix. Of course when I watch my hens rip a mouse to pieces I realize they are a lot closer to being velociraptors (dinosaurs) than they are to being cute fairytale creatures.

Theory two,people associate feeding meat by- products to chickens with feeding meat by-products to cattle and sheep, which was a part of the whole BSE problem. Many people feel it is unnatural for chickens to eat meat and meat eating chickens could be carrrying and passing on a disease, like Mad Cow Disease, for example. Personally I do not believe cows were ever meant to eat other cows and would never feed my own cows a meat by product feed. So you can see how people not familiar with poultry might have the same way of thinking, even though chickens DO eat meat.

Surprisingly a large number of people are VERY concerned wit hthe feeed my hens get. And it's not like I do this on a large scale. Just enough for "chore" money for the teen. Go figure confused

#73867 - 03/16/06 10:46 AM Re: Raw meat?
Garden Chick Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Minnesota
uno: Yes, I do see the correlation in the thinking, but, geez, this is 2006! I also know that people get something in their head and that's all she wrote. Whatever. Let them have their neurosis.

You always make me laugh.

#73868 - 03/16/06 11:17 AM Re: Raw meat?
Ozark Rose Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arkansas
My experience has been that poultry feed is not a good choice for protein supplementation because mine will not eat it! Most will eat Calf Manna, but not all. I have found I can get scraps from the local grocery store, where they process meat, for free. But something to consider when feeding meat is not to overfeed because the "leftovers" attract unwanted scavengers at night.
If you're bored, another good protein source is crickets from a bait shop!

#73869 - 03/16/06 01:47 PM Re: Raw meat?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

If you live next to the ocean, there are lots of blue mussels too...and broken lobster bits after a storm. If you have flying hens like I do, they will go down to the shore themselves when they hear a big surf on...knowing there will be lots of goodies. Some of them can just *barely* clear the trees to get home.

#73870 - 03/16/06 02:36 PM Re: Raw meat?
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello CJR,

I really did NOT intend to upset anybody, okay. Iī, sorry if you feel offended Jean, i didnīt plan to;-)

I know most people do it in "good believe", i dont blame them! I only wanted to bring some new thoughts in because i saw many birds here die because their owners gave cat-food. This is no joke, our vet-doc can explain the WHYs better. We just found out that cat-food in high doses is poison for chicken.

Maybe US-cat-food is different, but i doubt it;-) Why should American cats need different food than European cats? ;-)

Best greetings,

Joachim

#73871 - 03/16/06 03:52 PM Re: Raw meat?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I suspect each country has different agricultural by-products that go into cat food....depends on what's available. It might be just fine for the species intended, but who knows if it's Ok for chcikens.....obviously, in your country, it's not the same as Canada and the USA, where cat food is OK for chickens. I don't feed cat food, but I hatch for people who do, and it seems to be OK. Many folks here report feeding it during moulting. Since I live close to the ocean, I don't have to.

#73872 - 03/16/06 04:08 PM Re: Raw meat?
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello Jocelyn,

BIG missunderstanding: i never talked about the dry-thing but the "real" cat-food in cans/tins, sorry for not putting this clear in the first place!

As for if itīs good for chickens, well, no it isnīt! This is not my opinion, this is fact. Why? There is lots of salt in cat-food (at least in European), cats need salt, (most) birds donīt. Salt is poison for chickens, simple as that;-)

You said it "seems to be okay", well: look at their birds when they are 5 years old and their inner organs are ruined because of the salt the poor birds couldnīt handle;-(

Best greetings,

Joachim

#73873 - 03/17/06 05:39 AM Re: Raw meat?
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

People here feed tinned cat food. There is a lot of salt in the well water here too, this is an island. Do you suppose there is something else complicating the picture....salt by itself is harmfull, but with XXXXXXXX in the diet, it's not? I'm guessing on what the xxxxxx might be...who knows. My chickens live till their early twenties.
Our water tests reveal a lot of salt.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn