Topic Options
#73891 - 05/28/03 09:58 AM How do I know when my eggs are fertile
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 3 easteregg araucanas and just got an araucana rooster. I haven't noticed him doing his "job". He was the low rooster on the totem pole at his last home and wasn't allowed to perform because of the dominant rooster there. I am thinking he hasn't figured it out yet. I have had him about a week. I've got my incubator and I am ready to go I just don't know when to start. Any helpful hints?

#73892 - 05/28/03 11:19 AM Re: How do I know when my eggs are fertile
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Well he is the cock of the walk now and will take care of business. Start savin your eggs now.I have never seen my hamburg bantam tread a hen and am getting a near 100% hatch .

#73893 - 05/28/03 11:23 AM Re: How do I know when my eggs are fertile
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you very much. I also did a search on this and I will candle them after a bit to make sure I'm not wasting time. Great site!And I love the new forum. I didn't feel so stupid asking such a beginner question.

#73894 - 05/28/03 12:42 PM Re: How do I know when my eggs are fertile
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can also crack an egg open to look at the germ spot. It's a little white spot on the yolk that is about the size of a pin head. If it's white and sorta bunched together, the egg isn't fertile. If it look like a transluscent circle; sort of a cloudy center with a light white outline, then it is fertile.

#73895 - 05/28/03 01:53 PM Re: How do I know when my eggs are fertile
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I would go with MonarchzMan. BC Breeder had excellent pictures on his website describing what a fertile yolk looks like. Check it out.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn