Topic Options
#74033 - 06/05/07 03:58 AM When will thay lay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi All
I have 10 buff-o hens and thay are getting very big, I have not put nests in the coop yet and would like some info as to when I should.
Thay are about 17 weeks old now.
Thanks Much
Joe B
God Bless

#74034 - 06/05/07 05:41 AM Re: When will thay lay?
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
You have a several weeks to relax, but I would install the nest boxes in the next 3-4 weeks. I can't remember when my orps started, but all 10 of my breeds were laying around 6 months or so, some quite a bit sooner! Put the boxes up and then the pullets can get used to them, explore them and then when it is time, they will know what to do! No harm in putting them up too soon, but bad habits (laying on the floor) if you are not ready! Best wishes for many eggs to come!

#74035 - 06/05/07 05:41 AM Re: When will thay lay?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I would go ahead and put nests in. Chickens kind of freak out about new "furniture" in the coop sometimes. So let them get used to it now, before they start laying. You should see your first egg some time in the next several weeks. 20 weeks is about the earliest for any breed. I wouldn't start getting frustrated until 25 weeks or so. And, remember, when they first start laying it's a little sporadic. You might get two eggs and then see nothing for a few days. But they'll get in their rhythm soon.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box