Topic Options
#74062 - 07/14/04 01:09 PM chickens, eggs, and ivy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can chickens or their eggs (for harvesting) be harmed by poison ivy?

#74063 - 07/14/04 02:47 PM Re: chickens, eggs, and ivy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome to the coop. I had my chickens clear a poison Ivy patch. I was told by several chicken people it was ok. I saw no harm to the birds at all. I believe the meat is fine, it better be I slottered 8 cockerels and no one has died from eating them...hahaha. My pullets are not laying yet. I would gather the eggs would be fine as well.

Mike

#74064 - 07/14/04 11:16 PM Re: chickens, eggs, and ivy
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
Where I live, the dry season has made the area barren of green stuff. Actually getting green stuff to them has been a major reacurring issue. But.... they eat all of the poison oak. Didn't like it initally. Worried about for a while... but they keep eating it and seem fine. Weird way to get greens.

#74065 - 07/16/04 06:38 PM Re: chickens, eggs, and ivy
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in the middle of the woods surronded by trees and poison ivy. So far the only problem I've had with my girls and the poison ivy is, me getting poison ivy when tryiong to get them out of the woods and back in the coop.

28 years of poison ivy immunity + 15 chickens = Severe case of poison ivy frown

Anyways I don't think you'll have to worry, I've been eating thses eggs for the last year and haven't had any problems with the eggs themselves.

Kipp

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn