Topic Options
#74082 - 08/05/03 06:56 PM How long do eggs stay good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

(safe to eat)

Both in the coop (we live in FL, temp is usually 70-85 in the coop)

...and in the fridge.

Thanks!

#74083 - 08/05/03 09:20 PM Re: How long do eggs stay good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in new mexico, and it is upwards of 98 in the coop or in the shade, and 105 in the sun (on a bad day)which weve had a lot of.

so, that said, I eat my eggs that have sat in the coop all day waiting for me to come home and collect them. and they taste good to me and ive never gotten sick.

on refridgeration, most stats say an egg can stay fresh up to a month under proper refridgeration, but it cant have lost its protective coating through scrubing and submersion and it cant be cracked.

http://www.members.aol.com/rumcrook/poultry/poultry

#74084 - 08/06/03 01:23 AM Re: How long do eggs stay good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you want to raise chicks, about 7 days is as long as they'll last unrefrigereated. If you want to eat them, make sure they're always in the fridge where they will last a few weeks, considerably longer than sitting in a container on your bench. You can tell if an egg is off: just sit it in a glass of water. If it floats, you'd best not eat it. If it sinks, enjoy!
See ya. smile smile smile

#74085 - 08/06/03 07:20 AM Re: How long do eggs stay good?
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I agree, 7 days

#74086 - 08/06/03 07:36 AM Re: How long do eggs stay good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

in the fridge they'll last a month, but if kept in a hot place they may only last a few days. If you put an egg in water you can tell if its fresh. If it sinks it's fresh and if it floats it's probably best given to the cats. smile

#74087 - 08/06/03 07:37 AM Re: How long do eggs stay good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oops, didn't realise someone else had said about the egg in water thing. Sorry. :rolleyes: wink

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn