Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#74301 - 03/16/07 12:55 PM Pest control in bedding
Diansally Offline
Bantam

Loc: Georgia
Is there anything known that you can add to your regular chicken bedding that would help control mites and pests in general? Natural would be what I'd really like! (and so would my chickens!) Everything I've found for chicken pest control so far says to not put in bedding...

#74302 - 03/16/07 05:42 PM Re: Pest control in bedding
Anonymous
Unregistered

i didn't have a big problem until i ran out of diatemaceous earth. i put it down under the shavings and it seemed to work pretty good.

#74303 - 03/17/07 03:39 AM Re: Pest control in bedding
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

Have to agree, canīt underline enough how good DE works for us! Itīs "safe" because itīs not chemical treated, we even know several cat and dog-breeders who have heard of DE from us and use it since then to fight lice and fleas, they all say DE is the best (and cheapest!!! this was surprising to me, BTW) they have ever tried on their pets.

Hope it helps and best greetings,

Joachim

#74304 - 03/19/07 09:14 AM Re: Pest control in bedding
Sally Joe Offline
Feather

Loc: New York
DE is a great product. When I clean out the coop I sprinkle it all around the floor before I put down new shavings. I also sprinkle it under the straw in my nest boxes and even in the sand in the "dust box" .

You can also use it in your garden to keep away the slugs ! Try to find somewhere you can buy it by a 25 or 50 lb. bag. I've bought it at garden centers for $6.59 a box which has maybe 8 oz in it !! I just got a 50lb. bag for $22.50 ..big difference !

#74305 - 03/19/07 11:16 AM Re: Pest control in bedding
Diansally Offline
Bantam

Loc: Georgia
Where do you find 50# DE?

#74306 - 03/19/07 06:12 PM Re: Pest control in bedding
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got my 50# at a local feed store for $25. Maybe somewhere online sells them?

#74307 - 03/24/07 02:58 PM Re: Pest control in bedding
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use cedar chips. I throw handle fulls atop of fresh hay and in the nests. It's not fool proof i'm sure but ol' timers say almost no bugs like cedar. I have moved to pine and cedar lately because it seems that hay keeps moisture underneath it.

#74308 - 03/24/07 04:22 PM Re: Pest control in bedding
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I am an ol' timer and I assure you that aromatic cedar may repel clothing moths, but has not the slightest power with mites or lice. The only deterant ability is the Dust it has, just like any kind of fine dust. Any kind of dust CAN kill mites if they are dredged in it, like hens do when they make dusting holes in the soil. However, it has to get ON the mite and hens tend to shake all the dust into the feathers (where there are no mites) and then they shake if off the feathers, and it does not remain on the skin, where the mites live and feed. Those hens that spend a lot of time rolling and really working their dusting hole, will get it to the skin! It has to plug the "breathing" opening of the mite. Tossing mite dusts, DE, etc, all over the feathers wastes most of it, same in the bedding. However, I would not discourage the practice as some dust just might get to the skin and ON a mite and kill it--or the other hundreds that are hiding and feeding on our birds! DE can kill soft bodied lice, slugs, etc,if it is dry, but only kills mites if it it gets right on the mite, and plugs its breathing pore. Just keep after them with whatever works for you! CJR

#74309 - 03/31/07 08:14 AM Re: Pest control in bedding
Gold-n-chocolate Offline
New Egg

Loc: Massachusetts
I had really good results with using DE. It got rid of the mites in 2 days. Now I use it on a regular basis to keep the mites away. All I did was to sprinkle it all over their coop and their run, into their nests--mixing it into the shavings. I also put a cuple of handfuls into their dusting holes and mixed it around with the dust that is in the hole. Works like a charm. Just make sure that the DE that you get is the kind used for insects and not the kind that is used in pool filters.

#74310 - 04/03/07 04:24 AM Re: Pest control in bedding
Sally Joe Offline
Feather

Loc: New York
I thought I had read somewhere never to use cedar around chickens...can't remember why, but you may want to check into this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn