Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#74311 - 04/03/07 08:00 AM Re: Pest control in bedding
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Comes up again and again. All shavings, pine, cedar or other, must be dry. Most are kiln dried before packing in bales. If wet, there can be mold or essential oils that are not healthy for chickens--or other animals that are bedded with shavings.

Cedar aroma is very nice, but the oils are mostly evaporated during drying and are not harmful. In a short time, the poultry coop still smells nice, but the cedar aroma is soon gone entirely, just nice dry house.

I use pine shavings for chicks after about 6-8 weeks, cedar for all older birds, only because cedar is in larger chunks, catches more baby poop---and the chicks do eat a lot, --be sure to offer baby grit when you put chicks on shavings. CJR

#74312 - 04/03/07 09:29 AM Re: Pest control in bedding
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have found a new natural product I googled for natural pest control and came up with Orange Guard it is an all natural pest control I used it in our coop to get rid of large red ants It kills just about anything You can only get it at Ace hardware they have a web site online too This is greazt as its water based and can be used indoors on your pets as well as outside on the farm Best of all is the smell its orange so you avoid all that chemical smell

#74313 - 04/04/07 04:26 AM Re: Pest control in bedding
Sdearmo Offline
Feather

Loc: Nebraska
50# bag of DE is $19 at Welter Seed. Shipping costs almost as much as the DE. I bought 2 bags of DE, it cost around $60 including the shipping.

http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=238

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn