Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#74341 - 02/21/08 10:34 PM Re: Egg Laying and Sitting
TommyVT05 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
I asked around and no one have said that there is an incubator where I add water put in eggs and not get back to it until the end of the week. Lol. Thats what I need actually given all the time I have to be @ school throughout the week.

The one closest I think that will suit my need is the Genesis from Hovabator but thats too costly. I am looking for something $100 and below thats dependable to keeping the temp and hum. constant enough with the auto egg turner.

I can find some on eBay but still, the big idea is...if it requires minimal care, like I don't have to check temp and hum. every 4 hours but just once a day. 1 per 24 hours.

Thanks

Anything like that?

#74342 - 02/21/08 10:43 PM Re: Egg Laying and Sitting
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Sounds like what you need are some Silkies. They are well known for going broody. I have a few and use them to hatch eggs occasionally. I know several poultry people who keep a few Silkies just for that purpose.

#74343 - 02/21/08 10:47 PM Re: Egg Laying and Sitting
TommyVT05 Offline
Chicken

Hi Rhea Dean:

Maybe I am not sure about that breed because I never raised them before, but what do you mean by them "going broody"? Is that even if they didn't lay the eggs, can you just put eggs in their nest and they will just go in and hatch them out?

That's what I was thinking because if they require to lay eggs and all too, then now that brings the hastle or timing the two hens to kind of LAY at the same time so one can hatch another's eggs.

Tommy

#74344 - 02/22/08 06:59 AM Re: Egg Laying and Sitting
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Silkies with hatch other eggs besides their own. I had two just recently hatch some Araucana eggs, and I'm getting ready to put some buff Leghorn eggs under another Silkie. Depending on the size of the eggs, you can only put 5-6 large fowl eggs under a Silkie. They make good broodies, and most of them make good mothers. Sometimes they will go broody 3-4 times during the year.

#74345 - 02/22/08 09:01 AM Re: Egg Laying and Sitting
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Tommy, Yes, the hen must go broody first, and as mentioned, some (often Silkie bantams) only lay 10-15 eggs before the hormones change to "broody". No, they will not "set" until this hormone change takes place, which does mean laying first.

So for these eggs, you must be patient. Keep the eggs you would like to hatch, even if only 5 or 6 eggs for the week you are away, and check the nest when you return. Save any eggs she may lay during that week (eggs will keep for 2 weeks-one week is BEST) and wait again. If she is on the nest and fluffing up and squealing, when you return again- you are "go" for hatching.

As for the incubator, those who have great hatches are experienced and know their incubator. I have not had good luck, and I am able to check 24/7. It takes a good week with a new incubator to moniter the temp and humidity--if you are not THERE with it, I cannot see how it would be successful to quickly purchase one now. I use hens now, exclusively and keep some hens just for their reliable performances. With a number of "setters", I seldom have to wait long for one to hatch special eggs.

Call around to your poultry friends. Does anyone have a setting hen that you can take eggs to (moving a hen to a strange place while she is setting is not always successful--although moving to a familiar place on her home ground is done regularly, for their privacy!) Or can you locate an experienced incubator hatcher friend, to take your eggs to hatch with theirs?

But as Rhea Dean wrote--YOU CANNOT make a hen set--it is Mother Nature's call!

Good luck, CJR

#74346 - 02/22/08 11:09 AM Re: Egg Laying and Sitting
TommyVT05 Offline
Chicken

Sounds great. Then I ought to call someone I know. She lives kind of far from me though, like 30 miles. She has the "SPECIAL" type of incubator, and I only have to make the trip twice.

Tommy

#74347 - 03/01/08 04:45 PM Re: Egg Laying and Sitting
TommyVT05 Offline
Chicken

I have a nice teacher who asked to do it for me. Hehe. Awsome. That means the chicks should hatch March 17ish.
So excited!

By the way, there are new updates on my website (link below). Don't forgot to sign my guestbook and if you have a website, Please link me! Hehe

Thanks

- Tommy

#74348 - 03/08/08 10:02 AM Re: Egg Laying and Sitting
TommyVT05 Offline
Chicken

It has been the 9th day and she have candled. All 24, 100% growth!

Im so happy it turned out so well : )

- Tommy

Keep you all posted as time progresses

#74349 - 03/08/08 11:06 AM Re: Egg Laying and Sitting
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Good Show, Tommy--and hope it all turns out SUPER! CJR

#74350 - 03/09/08 08:28 PM Re: Egg Laying and Sitting
TommyVT05 Offline
Chicken

Thanks.

Yeah, I wish them good health too! If are are going to make it, I will have 24 jungle fowl and phoenix chicks, I have another 14 eggs now being hatched by my hen and a friend of mine is hatching 8 vietnames jungle fowls for me. They should only be a week apart of each other. Thats roughly 40 chicks for me : )

- Tommy

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn