Topic Options
#74381 - 09/28/05 01:30 PM Disgusting Egg
Anonymous
Unregistered

I only have 6 chickens and plenty of takers for eggs so no egg in the house is more than 4 days old. Theoretically.

One egg I found late in the afternoon dirtier than usual, I brought it in, rinsed it off and put in a box in the fridge.

Today it's looking particularly green so I decide to open it up and look and oh my goodness, sulpherous green stinking slime is what's inside.

I do have one broody hen that may be keeping eggs overheated - but is it possible for an egg to get that bad in maybe 8 hours of being sat on and a total 4 days existence? Do I have a sick hen? What is that stuff?

#74382 - 09/28/05 03:29 PM Re: Disgusting Egg
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
Is it possible that the egg was missed at all during your routine collections? Buried in the litter or something? It sounds like it was sitting longer than a few days.

#74383 - 09/28/05 03:30 PM Re: Disgusting Egg
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
No, it must have been hidden under the nesting material for a long time--I have never had an egg 3 months old look like that! Suggest you clean out your nests and reline with new clean material--whatever you use. Could that be the answer? CJR

#74384 - 09/28/05 03:31 PM Re: Disgusting Egg
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Right now, it's a hot temperature. Under the hen, a hot temperature. The egg was also dirty and left for 4 days before being seen. Yes, that makes the egg absolutely revolting! The green stuff is probably just rotten egg. Most eggs that have an embryo developing or died in development still don't have the disgusting smell of the egg. You would probably have also seen a "chunky" mixture instead of just slime. If you would have not seen it for about 2 weeks...they turn into bombs. Literally, if you would have tried to crack the egg open with that amount of time...the slime would have been all over you and you would have to have taken 3 showers to get the smell off..including the odoban bath..yuck!!!

#74385 - 09/28/05 03:32 PM Re: Disgusting Egg
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I forgot to ask...has it been raining? did they lay the egg on the ground? was it on the floor of your coop?

#74386 - 09/30/05 06:42 AM Re: Disgusting Egg
Anonymous
Unregistered

The egg was on the floor of the coop. I do collect them every day and clean the litter out every 2 weeks at most. I have no cockerel so there could not have been an embryo.

I guess it got lost in the straw and then re-surfaced later.

At least no-one has suggested a sick chicken and that was my worst fear.

Don't like the sound of those exploding green eggs though !! (^o^)

#74387 - 10/02/05 08:18 PM Re: Disgusting Egg
Anonymous
Unregistered

We recently started letting the chickens free range, and were having an Easter egg hunt daily trying to keep up with all the hiding places for the eggs. My girls are not good at going back to nesting boxes, apparently. No more than 3 days after they started playing outside of their pen, I found an egg under a dried-up weed, and when I picked it up it was hot. I was a little unsure of it, so I just put it in the nesting box as an example for the chickies. My 3yo son picked it up a few minutes later and dropped it, and the shell cracked enough to see the nasty green slime in it. Whew, what a smell! It was not an old egg, but it was the nastiest thing I'd seen/smelled in a LONG time. It doesn't take long for them to get completely bad if the weather is hot. I was nervous to crack the eggs after that, so the girls are back in their pen until we find a better solution.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn