Topic Options
#74479 - 08/22/05 12:21 PM Summer Heat & egg production
Weezie Offline
Bantam

Loc: North Carolina
Do 1 yr old chickens fall back on their egg laying when temps get very high? I am getting about 1/2 the eggs I did a few weeks ago.
(I have looked for stray nests since they are free range, but can't find any.)
Thanks.

#74480 - 08/22/05 06:48 PM Re: Summer Heat & egg production
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
They will slow down. Also they may be starting to molt.

Tim Adkerson

#74481 - 08/23/05 09:04 AM Re: Summer Heat & egg production
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm having the same problem as well. For at least the last month I average 5-7 eggs a day from 13 hens. It's frustrating since people are asking me for eggs and I have to get them from my sister's flock for now. Some days I do get about 11 though. Didn't know if the fact that they're pure breeds and have reached a year old has anything to do with it or not. If they're going to quit on me, then I'll have to get more birds.

#74482 - 08/23/05 11:05 AM Re: Summer Heat & egg production
Weezie Offline
Bantam

Loc: North Carolina
Well, I guess I need to read up on molting now. I don't know what that is!
Thanks,
Louisa

#74483 - 08/25/05 01:10 PM Re: Summer Heat & egg production
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would a snake actually survive the chickens? You would think that the chickens would peck at it. I know mine are totally enclosed between the henouse and chicken wire. The only way in would be through the chicken wire, through the yard (and chickens) and up the ramp into the house. I think my problem is molting and feather picking. I just gave my problem hen (the main picker) to my sister so it can free range. I still see picking, but no feather pulling. Waiting a few more days to be sure.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn