Topic Options
#74505 - 06/29/04 11:59 AM Overcrowded?
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Loc: Kansas
I have 12 5-week old pullets of various breeds living in a 4'x3' cardboard box in my garage while their home is being built. I keep their bedding clean and they get fresh water and plenty of chick starter food and grit everyday but I'm concerned because they might be getting pretty crowded. They have a little roost inside the box that they all have tried at one time or another and seem to love. They roost on top of their waterer and yes they poop in the water. They roost on top of their feeder and they poop in it, too. At least they're consistent. They have an overhead light on all the time. Should I be shutting it off sometimes to simulate nighttime? I'm getting all anxious because it's taking us a long time to get their house built and they seem to get bigger and bigger everyday. I'm kind of worried they may start taking out their anxiety on each other. Any opinions or advice?

#74506 - 06/29/04 12:51 PM Re: Overcrowded?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not if you keep it clean.

#74507 - 06/29/04 12:55 PM Re: Overcrowded?
Ray Offline
Feather

Loc: North Carolina
i had the same problem so I built an "annex" by sliding a second box next to the first and cutting open a door between them. It served well as a way to hold all the birds while i cleaned out the box with the food and water and litter or when i wanted to take them all outside for "playtime".

#74508 - 06/29/04 01:05 PM Re: Overcrowded?
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Loc: Kansas
Hi Ray@BHFarm -- Thanks for the response. I was wondering at what age did you take them out to play? I would like to do that but I'm such a "mother hen" that I don't know if I could get them back in the box. :rolleyes: I was told that if they could see the others in the box they would get back in. They try to jump out now when I remove the "lid" to feed and water them. Poor things only know the inside of a box. frown

#74509 - 06/29/04 09:01 PM Re: Overcrowded?
Babock Offline
Feather

Loc: California
While my chicks were in the brooder, I made cones out of light cardboard(looked like dunce caps)and taped these on the feeder and waterer. This kept them from jumping on top of them. I had the same problem before they did this. They were also knocking them over before I did this.

Bruce

#74510 - 06/30/04 07:21 AM Re: Overcrowded?
Ray Offline
Feather

Loc: North Carolina
by the time the chicks were about 4 or 5 weeks old, i began taking them out into the yard in the box and then i'd open the flap of a door and they'd wander around as a group. (They really stick together even now that they're 3 mos old.) i had been hand feeding them dry grits as a treat so i could get them to come by holding out grits near the opening to the box. then i'd pour grits inside the box and they'd all head in to eat and i'd close the door. I also found out that if i had them out near dark, they would all magically head toward the box about a half hour before it got dark out. There was also a time or two where i had to chase them around and catch them.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn 
Who's Online
1 registered (John), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box