Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#74674 - 01/30/05 06:47 AM They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

My ISABrowns will be 16 weeks old on Tuesday! I should start seeing eggs any day now!! Oh, I just can't wait. This is so exciting!

They're getting noisier - while they used to make kind of quiet, monotone, "bak bak bak" sounds, now they sound like little siblings threatening eachother "UMMMM! I'm gonna tell MOM!" You know "BKAAAAAAK! Bak bak bakbak BKAAAAAAK!"

Is that what you all mean when you say "they start to talk about it" before they begin laying?

But - my rooster hasn't started crowing yet. Does that mean anything?

#74675 - 01/30/05 05:28 PM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Isn't it exciting waiting for those first eggs??? My red sex-links turned 16 weeks last Wednesday so I am anxiously awaiting the first egg too.

(Meanwhile, one of barred rocks has been broody for over a week now. Too bad this couldn't have happened a couple months from now. It's been way too cold here to move her to a separate cage to break her from being broody. Maybe next week will warm up a little????)

#74676 - 01/31/05 08:16 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
Like a watched pot, watched pullets take longer to lay that first egg. The songs tell you it could come any time, but anticipation just might slow things down. Good luck on a discovery soon.

#74677 - 01/31/05 12:56 PM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stacy, it is very exciting to get your first egg. I still rush outside everyday to check for more. The joy never ends and you don't get tired of it. Isn't it fun???? Congratulations!!

#74678 - 01/31/05 03:40 PM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Bruce Smith:
Like a watched pot, watched pullets take longer to lay that first egg. The songs tell you it could come any time, but anticipation just might slow things down. Good luck on a discovery soon.
LOL Dr. Smith! Ain't it the truth! I have a flock of barred rock pullets that started laying this past October. I'd been diligent looking around the coop and in the nest boxes every day since they were 16 weeks old (although I really didn't expect much before 20 weeks of age). Then when they were 19 weeks old, I had to go on a business trip. That night I called my husband to tell him that I had arrived safely and he tells me that he found the first pullet egg in with the barred rocks. Yeesh! All it took was for me to go out of town. laugh

#74679 - 02/01/05 10:37 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well - maybe I should stay out of the coop. No eggs yet.

#74680 - 02/02/05 12:13 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stacey-
When I found the first egg from The Collective, I accused my spouse of 'planting' the tiny brown orb. I was immediately bombarded with denial, not to mention practical facts like "yes dear, I searched far and wide until I found the perfect tiny brown egg with which I hoped I could fool you". So I began imagining conspiring neighbors.
Once I accepted that it was the genuine article, I showed it anyone and everyone that stopped long enough to get their attention.
Like a lot of things in life....just when you least expect it, egg-pect it!
16 weeks is still young. You and your girls are actually a bit better off for the waiting. There is less likelyhood of problems that can arise from pullets which start laying before they are completely ready.

Good cLuck

TC
cool

#74681 - 02/02/05 01:42 PM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, TC! I think I might actually appreciate it if somebody planted an egg in my coop - at least it would occupy my mind for a while!

#74682 - 02/03/05 12:51 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes Stacey, your mind will be occupied for a while ....for a long, long while; imagine, if you will, what you are going through in anticipation of just a single egg (albeit the first egg) and multiply that angst by the number of pullets in your flock (24, if I recall correctly). Now times that by each and every day from the day of your first egg until, well let's just say.....FOREVER. I think the sum could accurately be called the Addiction Factor.
In other words the egg-citement shifts, but it doesn't diminish.
Just wait, you'll see what I mean.

TC
cool

ps-please check your PMs

#74683 - 02/03/05 03:39 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL, TC. I guess this was just the kind of hobby I needed! Something to be obsessed with . . . .

I haven't gone out yet this morning - maybe today will be the day!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn