Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#74684 - 02/05/05 06:43 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK Cross your fingers! I'm going to check for eggs.

#74685 - 02/06/05 06:28 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK - maybe this morning?

#74686 - 02/06/05 07:08 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL Stacey! I finally put up the nest boxes with my pullets yesterday (I am much the procrastinator). The pullets are having a grand time standing on the perches and peering into this new thing in their pen. They are quite inquisitive. No eggs for me either and I think mine are a little older than yours? Mine will be 18 weeks old this coming Wednesday.

#74687 - 02/06/05 08:29 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
Even production layers like ISAs may well wait until near five months of age to begin laying in a small flock situation. I have three Pearl Leghorns, but the first egg I got was from an Ameraucana. When the Pearls kicked in, they soon began laying at a 100% rate, and their eggs got bigger sooner than the others. Almost all of them go in the large cartons now.
I urge giving up all hope of ever getting an egg, but keeping the good feed, water, and housing all shipshape. One day you MIGHT have a nice surprise. Be sure to crow loud enough to hear you down here when it happens.

#74688 - 02/06/05 07:06 PM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

What kind do you have, bluedog? Mine just turned 16 weeks on Tuesday.

I got my first egg this morning! A big, pretty brown egg right under my nest boxes! I was so excited that I brought it into town with me to show it off.

Did you hear me crowing, Dr. Bruce?

I hope the eggs don't get much bigger - how would I find cartons big enough for them? This one was the right size for one of the "AA Large" cartons I had saved.

I can't wait until tomorrow!

#74689 - 02/06/05 07:32 PM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congratulations! it is so exciting to get eggs from chickens that you raise yourself.

#74690 - 02/07/05 05:22 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congratulations Stacey! Right on time!

Mine are golden buffs which is just a generic line of red sex links similar to the ISA browns, but not a large commercially raised line.

Aren't they great fun!

#74691 - 02/07/05 07:43 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
Congratulations. In fact, I did hear a weird screeching when I went out on the porch this morning. That big egg is probably a double. My new pullets have laid quite a few doubles as they have started up. The doubles are a hoot when hard boiled.

#74692 - 02/09/05 06:24 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, everybody!

Since that first one, I haven't got any more. Hmmmmm. I wonder if somebody found a nice brown egg and snuck it in my coop? hehe

#74693 - 02/09/05 08:04 AM Re: They should start laying any day now!
J. Lee Offline
Chicken

Loc: Illinois
Congrats Stacey. Now how about my ladies??? Mine(Banty Mutts) are close to a year old and have not laid all winter. When can I be the lucky one??

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn