Topic Options
#74703 - 02/13/06 07:32 PM ? fertile eggs
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
My girls are in a coop/run with no roosters. Today when I went to feed them 2 girls managed to slip out the door, much to the happiness of my rooster, and my rooster chased one down before I could even turn around. I was not able to stop him before he had mounted her for about a half a minute maybe less. Do you think she is now fertile? I can't tell which one it was, not that it matters, because she is one of 19 RIR's and I just put her back with the rest as I don't have a place for her alone. I know you guys have said if you want chicks keep them together for more than one time so I am just wondering what the chance of her having fertile eggs now. Thanks for your replys.

#74704 - 02/13/06 08:13 PM Re: ? fertile eggs
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Is she laying? Or with 19 others, you may not know. If she IS laying, her next egg will likely be fertile, (if she layed today, today's egg will not be fertile--but the next one may be). After that, she will likely have to be with the rooster to remain producing fertile eggs. But since you put her back with the others, there will be no way to know which egg is hers. If she is not yet laying, well, then, no, SHE is not "fertile". Only, if she is laying, are the eggs fertilized by the rooster and only when the ova are released from the ovary--before all the other parts of the egg are added, including the shell, which is the last part in the formation of the egg, ready to be laid. Only then, are the eggs fertile. CJR

#74705 - 02/13/06 08:14 PM Re: ? fertile eggs
Eowyn Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
No matter really, unlike dogs or cats ect...you dont have to incubate or hatch any fertile eggs, just eat and enjoy !!!

#74706 - 02/14/06 12:20 PM Re: ? fertile eggs
BJC Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Florida
Thanks CJR, Yes she is laying. So if you want chicks they need to be mated every day (since they lay an egg everyday) then. I am not looking for chicks at this time and would not want the mix of the 2 breeds anyway just wanted to know. Thanks to everyone else as well.

#74707 - 02/14/06 12:54 PM Re: ? fertile eggs
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
No, the rooster does not have to mate with the hens every day in order for the eggs to be fertile.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn