Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#74902 - 07/24/05 09:37 AM Good lord.... will she stay this noisy??
Amethyste Offline
Bantam

Loc: Washington
My oldest pullet, Sunny (Buff Orp), laid her 3rd egg this morning. She is the only one laying atm, and she didn't lay one yesterday. We were not home during the laying of the other two...but omg were we shocked at this one.

She was so LOUD!!! I am just worried that the neighbors will be getting upset over the noise! frown She was announcing I guess that it was coming...and I can understand that lol but ack I don't remember Grandad's chickens being that loud!!!

So please...will she probably quiet down once she gets into the routine of egg-laying? I swear she was screaming like she was beign attacked or something..and have that early on a Sunday morning will probably not please the neighbors frown

I may have to try to figure out a way to soundproof the coop and outside run if she is going to be that loud ...ugh

Any advice?

Thank you!!

Lissa

#74903 - 07/24/05 09:45 AM Re: Good lord.... will she stay this noisy??
Jim Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oklahoma
if your coop opening is pointed at the neighbors all you can do is try and make a sound barrier out side the coop. if it isnt, it is not as loud away from the opening.

some hens are just proud and want you to know they have laid!

#74904 - 07/24/05 11:54 AM Re: Good lord.... will she stay this noisy??
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It is a song of joy for the hens--often not as bothersome to picky neighbors as crowing cocks at dawn or even during the night! You may expect a chorus, as your other hens begin to lay. You might consider keeping them cooped for the morning--but laying time is not confined to the morning--and can be at any time of day! At least it doesn't last too long, unlike roosters that crow all day. Each hen won't lay every day, but it can be intense, both announcing the upcoming event and again celebrating the successful production! Good luck, CJR

#74905 - 07/24/05 03:45 PM Re: Good lord.... will she stay this noisy??
RIR32 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Kentucky
i have some that make a lot of noise and some that doesnt make hardly any the last couple of weeks i've had one hen sound like she tring to crow.

#74906 - 07/24/05 04:37 PM Re: Good lord.... will she stay this noisy??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hens announce eggs. I have a few that annouce they are going to lay an egg, and again once the blessed event occurs. I have a few interesting neighbors and another who loves the sound and tells everyone how it makes her day to hear my girls. The sound reminds her existance is to be celebrated. Job stress is gone with the clucks of my girls. Need I say I keep her supplied with eggs?

If you want to make baskets of eggs cute, roll down a brown paper lunch sack (like socks), fill it with bedding and top with six eggs. It's a great neighbor gift.

Olivia Grace

Olivia Grace

#74907 - 07/24/05 05:10 PM Re: Good lord.... will she stay this noisy??
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Everyone always thinks the roosters are the loud ones...i find my hens louder then my rooster. It hasnt slowed down at all. Some days it is louder then the day before other days it isnt so noisey. Hens are noisey...not many people realize that!

#74908 - 07/26/05 07:41 PM Re: Good lord.... will she stay this noisy??
David Offline
Bantam

Loc: Connecticut
My girls are noisy all morning long, it's a busy place! They let me know what they are doing!!! I doubt it will get any less noisy... I can hear my girls inside the house with the windows closed some mornings and they are 75 feet away. The idea about the opening in the coop facing the neighbors might help, but soundproofing means that you would make the coop un breathable and you need your' coop to breath.

#74909 - 07/27/05 05:33 PM Re: Good lord.... will she stay this noisy??
Anonymous
Unregistered

And ya'll aint even touched on th' fact that hens jus' stand out in th' yard an' raise cain fer no apparent reason! Makes me so mad that all I can do is laugh!

#74910 - 07/27/05 07:09 PM Re: Good lord.... will she stay this noisy??
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yup, thats true shorty. They dont just make noises in the coop (or barn in my case). They will go out in the yard and start making noises sometimes for no reason and other times to say "i'll be going to the barn soon to lay my egg and my nest box better be open". And of course sometimes the it is addictive and other hens join in and it makes the rooster make the "whats going on?" noise. Its a chain reaction and it can get pretty loud....

#74911 - 07/30/05 07:10 PM Re: Good lord.... will she stay this noisy??
Anonymous
Unregistered

My girls announce before and after, in the coop, in the pen, in the yard. then they will throw a fit and start in when they cannot find their flockmates (who are always in the same place every day, under the porch)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn