Topic Options
#74977 - 07/27/05 11:52 AM Stopped laying, too hot?
T. Yaap Offline
Feather

Loc: Washington
Hi all! It has been in the 90's and up the last two weeks and my golden sex link has stopped laying. She started at 16 weeks old layed for 4 weeks and now nothing for the last week. The others were close to starting and seem to be on hold now. (2 americaunas, 1 plymouth barred rock) crops are red, thicker. Should I have not started layer feed? One laying and three about to. should they be kept in coop and run until afternoon? Would that help get them back on track? Everyones singing, so I am perplexed.

#74978 - 07/28/05 05:21 AM Re: Stopped laying, too hot?
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
Give them time, this heat wave is hard on all of us! these few days of cool should help alot. Can you keep a fan around them, maybe blowing toward the nest boxes. I do and they appreciate it.

#74979 - 07/28/05 04:09 PM Re: Stopped laying, too hot?
Tucson Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
If they ran out of water or food, even briefly - as in hours, there can also be an interruption in laying. It happens to me occassionally when something like a storm knocks over the waterer.

#74980 - 07/29/05 12:02 PM Re: Stopped laying, too hot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You mention keeping them in the coop and run until afternoon as a solution. What are you doing now? Are the pullets allowed to free range? Laying eggs in a hidden spot is a common "cause" of not laying. smile I have always kept my hens from free ranging until later in the day. It prevents bad habits from developing (like not laying in the nest boxes).

Sometimes laying is irregular at the beginning. So it may just be time until regularity sets in again.

It's ok to switch to laying food around 18-20 weeks of age. You don't want to feed it to younger pullets, but right around laying age is ok.

#74981 - 07/29/05 06:52 PM Re: Stopped laying, too hot?
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
I agree with blue dog, if they are free ranging from sun rise they may be hiding their eggs. I keep mine in until around noon, and i always have and mine are very good about going to the barn to lay their eggs. So keep yours in everyday until around noon or 1. you might see eggs in the nest boxes. Go on a egg hunt outside, look everywhere. In tall grasses in tight spaces and in dark places. Under things that could fit a chicken... they may have a stash going!

#74982 - 07/29/05 07:26 PM Re: Stopped laying, too hot?
T. Yaap Offline
Feather

They are usually cooped-up until around noon. And I have watched them for about 3 days to see if I can find hidden eggs. None. So back to my first question. If it is too hot will they stop laying? And what is too hot? It ranges from 85-95 here with cool nights and usually a good strong wind in the evening.

#74983 - 07/29/05 07:47 PM Re: Stopped laying, too hot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

85-95 isn't too hot. Until this past week, it had been consistantly 85 and above every day for several weeks here in Ohio. My hens have been laying right along. I have 2 year old birds, 1 year old birds and 9 month old birds.

Now I feel bad for all of you down south in Arizona. Boy, it's been all over the news how hot it has been down there.

#74984 - 07/30/05 09:19 AM Re: Stopped laying, too hot?
T. Yaap Offline
Feather

Thanks for your help Bluedog. I might keep them in the coop/run for a couple days to keep a closer eye on them.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn