Topic Options
#75080 - 12/21/04 10:58 AM Sugar in drinking water
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 4 hens in a secure coop some way from the house and need to find an easy way of stopping their water freezing over whilst I am away over for five days over Christmas. A friend will come and check food/water/eggs every evening, but they will not be able to replace iced-over water early in the morning as I would. I don't have an electricity supply to heat the water bowl, but can insulate the bowl. Can I also add a little sugar to reduce the freezing temperature without upsetting the hens' health?

#75081 - 12/22/04 05:33 AM Re: Sugar in drinking water
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've near heard of anyone adding sugar to reduce the risk of water freezing...but I am out in the middle of "no where". However, I know that people put down salt when it snows and sleets here to melt it. BUT, I'm not sure just how that will effect your chickens. Maybe others can shed more light on the subject.

#75082 - 12/22/04 09:41 AM Re: Sugar in drinking water
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sugar water is often recommended for chicks and stressed out chickens. It is a helpful energy booster. I don't believe that it can hurt chickens in small concentrations.

#75083 - 12/22/04 02:29 PM Re: Sugar in drinking water
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Salt water would be very bad for them. Sugar may work but what concentration would it take? I would try to come up with a better solution. A long extension cord maybe?

Bill

#75084 - 12/23/04 08:54 AM Re: Sugar in drinking water
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, you'd have to add a whole lot of sugar to keep water from freezing. I am with Bill on the long extension cord. It's what I use to get electricity out to my coop so I can run a metal heater-base under my metal watr fount. In this part of the country, I can't think of anything else that would work. It's -4 F today.

#75085 - 12/26/04 02:46 PM Re: Sugar in drinking water
Cyngbaeld Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Texas
Is it possible to SAFELY put a kerosene lantern in the coop? Depending on the temp it might be enough to prevent the water freezing. Your friend would prob have to add kerosene (lamp oil) in the afternoon and relight it.

(I'm beginning to think there may be a good market for a kerosene or propane powered water warmer for poultry.)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 81 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box