Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75107 - 03/09/07 07:14 AM no eggs
Yoolytopdwop Offline
Chick

Loc: Spain
can anybody help me, i have 11 hens, 6 i bought about three months ago and 5 i bought last month[25 jan.], but i only get 4 eggs a day, i presume these are from the first ones i bought, but that still leaves a fair amount of hens that should have started laying, they are medium aged hens, and were all laying when i bought them.

please could someone give me answers

thanks a lot everyone ylytpdwp

#75108 - 03/09/07 07:45 AM Re: no eggs
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Well, hens do not like to be moved to a new location. Hens do not like to be put with strange hens. If there is a change of feed, this can affect laying. If the hens are medium age (2 or 3 years old,) they will not be laying as many eggs as when a year old or 2 years old. They might have a molt after their move and before they resume laying, and will have to recover before they lay again.

So there are lots of variables that could cause them to stop laying. However, with a good Layer Ration, and settling in, as the days are now longer, they may begin to give you more eggs any day now. If they are "older" hens, however, they many not meet your expectations. If they were laying when you got them, those eggs were already under development when they were moved.

When you get a new flock, in the future, try to get "point of lay" pullets--just ready to start their first laying--and they will be comfortable in their surroundings before they start to lay! Good luck, CJR

#75109 - 03/09/07 09:45 AM Re: no eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
When we moved, and moved about 20 hens with us, it took a couple of months before I started getting a decent amount of eggs. The first couple of weeks or so, I would get like 2 eggs a day. Give them some time to settle in and adjust to all the changes.

#75110 - 03/09/07 11:31 AM Re: no eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was only getting 4 eggs/daily from the same hens in my flock of 12 during the winter months. We are having much warmer, sunnier days now, and the girls are laying 7 or 8 daily. I assume as the weather warms further, and stays more consistent, I'll get even more eggs. Not sure how the weather is where you are, but this might be something to consider.

#75111 - 03/09/07 11:32 AM Re: no eggs
Yoolytopdwop Offline
Chick

Loc: Spain
ok then, all they need is a little more time to settle in. thanks for your help

ylytpdwp

#75112 - 03/11/07 08:10 AM Re: no eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are some other things that can cause them not to lay. I only have a couple pullets laying right now, while this time last year all my hens were in production. These are OE bantams, not laying hens.

#75113 - 03/12/07 07:10 AM Re: no eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Mottledchick - are any of them broody? Could they be hiding eggs somewhere? What about eating their eggs?

#75114 - 03/16/07 08:30 AM Re: no eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

no. nobody is broody (i wish) and they aren't eating them as far as i can tell. the vents are not enlarged, so they probably aren't laying. i have had some start laying since the last post but not the ones i need! lol.

#75115 - 03/16/07 09:24 AM Re: no eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Hmmm....mites, lice, predators, rodents in the coop....anything like that possible? Any upset, change, new birds? Change in diet?

That's about all I can come up with! LOL!

#75116 - 03/16/07 05:39 PM Re: no eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

have had mites but not on these birds. no lice (knock on wood...HARD. lol) mice and/or rats are around but cannot get into these pens. no new birds or change in feed.

#75117 - 03/17/07 07:59 AM Re: no eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm hoping it's just lack of sunlight. Since time change, the days are longer and more started laying. It didn't affect them last year, but well chickens are weird. haha Keepin my fingers crossed the ones I NEED to lay start...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn