Topic Options
#75118 - 08/26/05 03:11 PM Hawk attack!!
Weezie Offline
Bantam

Loc: North Carolina
I saved my 5 week chick from a hawk, but it has a tear around the rectum and the bowel prolapsed. My DH is a veterinarian so he sewed her back up. But as good as he is medically, I don't know that he knows about other chicken "medical tricks." The chick is separated now from the others, but is just standing in the box with its back to the food and water. Any ideas to help with recovery, if it's even possible?
Thanks,
Louisa

#75119 - 08/26/05 04:34 PM Re: Hawk attack!!
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
Your going to have to probably take closer care of her than that.
I had a hurt chicken and had to bring her in the house and baby her for a while.
I had to keep her clean, antibiotic ointment on it, and some hand feeding.
She was fine.

#75120 - 08/26/05 06:03 PM Re: Hawk attack!!
Weezie Offline
Bantam

Loc: North Carolina
She is inside. And I brought a non-threatening "sibling" in too, to keep her company. They are in the kitchen. Used an ointment. I was just wondering about trying to get her to eat and drink.....

#75121 - 08/26/05 06:39 PM Re: Hawk attack!!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
When the initial shock is over and her system is ready--the chick will eat--DO NOT FORCE FOOD DOWN the Throat! You can offer tempting bits, like bird seed with Millet--crumbled hardboiled egg, and feed a little Starter crumbles on their paper. Poor thing is hurting, and when all is going well--it will eat. Watch the other chick does not pick at the stiched up wound! Could negate any healing!! Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn