Topic Options
#75129 - 04/03/05 10:53 PM Wondering if I bought Buff Orphington chicks or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought 1-2 day old baby chicks from a small scale local hatchery, and they are all buff colored and their color varies from chick to chick, but I can tell they are all the same breed, and they all have pink legs. BUT there are two chicks that are slightly bigger than the others, they are a lighter yellowish color, and their legs seem to be darker with a greenish tenge. So are these maybe roosters (But at this age I wouldn't think you could tell) Or are these a different breed?

#75130 - 04/04/05 02:49 AM Re: Wondering if I bought Buff Orphington chicks or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Both male and female Orpingtons have the same leg colour-pinkish white. The other 2 may be a different breed or may be poor quality Orpingtons which is more likely with hatchery stock.

#75131 - 04/08/05 01:40 PM Re: Wondering if I bought Buff Orphington chicks or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks postwill for your advice. Now that my chicks are getting older, it is evident that these other two are of a different breed. Guess I'll just have to wait till they get bigger to find out what they are.

~Naturelady~

#75132 - 04/08/05 05:26 PM Re: Wondering if I bought Buff Orphington chicks or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My chicks are 5-6 days old, and they are starting to get wing feathers. Some of the chicks are getting buff colored feathers, and others are getting some black-ish looking feathers. Is this normal for Buff Orphingtons at this age? I'm just really concerned that I may have been scammed into buying mixed breed chickens, instead of the pure bred Buff's I thought I was buying.

~Naturelady~

#75133 - 04/08/05 10:06 PM Re: Wondering if I bought Buff Orphington chicks or not?
Tucson Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
No, buff orphs (BOTH hens and roos) should have all buff (yellowish/white) feathers. I think you got some mixed.

#75134 - 04/09/05 11:33 AM Re: Wondering if I bought Buff Orphington chicks or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well darn it, this really makes me mad mad to put it nicely.

For all I know the hatchery may not have known that the place where they got the eggs (Locally)had given them mixed chicken eggs.

I have learnt a hard lesson I guess.

Some of the chicks look like pure bred buff's, but since most of the batch is looking like it is mixed, the pure looking ones could be mixed also. So needless to say, I will try to sell these chicks, and then I'm going to order from a reputable hatchery and get my chicks in the mail.

~Naturelady~

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn