Topic Options
#75176 - 10/27/04 07:50 PM eating eggs from medicated feed
Mother Hen Offline
Feather

Loc: Texas
I really did search on this one because I know it's got to be a common question, but I couldn't find anything. My 6 month old pullets are on Start & Grow which is medicated starter feed. One of my girls has just started laying and we have 2 eggs so far. We are wondering if we can eat them or if that's a bad idea because of the medicated feed.

I have some Layena to switch to, but only one hen is laying and the other 5 are not. If we can't eat the eggs, how long do we have to wait once they're off the medicated feed?

I know I can feed the girls the egg shells to make their shells stronger. Do I just grind them up to a fine powder or are little chunks okay? I've heard I can give them the egg contents as well. How do I do that? I guess I need to get them some oyster shell, too.

We're very excited about the eggs and would like to eat them for brunch on Sunday after church!

Thanks,
Kristy

#75177 - 10/27/04 09:37 PM Re: eating eggs from medicated feed
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Go down to the nest topic: Mixed chicks. . . and you will find answer to "medicated feed". And as long as I am here--my answer is: start mixing your STarter and Layer Ration half and half for the next week (even for the pullets that are not laying yet--they will be soon. I would eat the eggs myself, breakfast, lunch or dinner--Sunday brunch--any time! CJR

#75178 - 10/27/04 09:54 PM Re: eating eggs from medicated feed
Anonymous
Unregistered

M. Hen -
It's your choice regarding the egg shell part. I , personally, would not give shell, and especially the contents, to my flock. I would be concerned about 'introducing' them to the yummy egg and therefore possibly create an 'egg eater'. Oyster shell is inexpesive and effortless. But as always it's your decision.
Congrats on the eggs!

TC
cool

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn