Topic Options
#75287 - 07/30/05 10:45 AM Ok how can i get her to use the nesting box?
Amethyste Offline
Bantam

Loc: Washington
Sunny, my newly laying Buff Orp laid her first egg about two weeks ago. Since then she has been laying an egg almost every day...she is so good smile (PS And she has finaly quieted down..she only sings AFTER the egg arrives now!! YAY!!!) But however she has NO interest in the nesting box!!

She lays right in the SE corner next to the box...literally pushes her bum next to the nesting box itself but wont lay inside of it. The nesting box is on the E side of the coop, with plenty of room for them to get in and move around etc. And there is a SE corner in there too if that is what she is wanting lol The only difference that I can see is that there is a large open window next to where she wishes to lay.

I cannot figure out why she wont go inside. We have the communal nesting box with 3 dummy eggs in plain view. The entrance is partially covered (maybe 1/4 total) with a black burlap sheet cut into strips to keep it somwhat dark and cool. We chose to not cover the whole thing cause we wanted them to get used to laying in there first before we dropped the sheet the rest of the way. The nesting box material is the same stuff she wants to use outside of it frown

However she has no interest in even using the box yet. My husband thinks maybe we should put a cement block or something there so she wont use it again, and maybe then she will use the box...but I am not sure.

My main concern is that she is "training" the others who are almost ready to lay there...should I be concerned?

Thank you for any and all advice...

Lissa

#75288 - 07/30/05 01:14 PM Re: Ok how can i get her to use the nesting box?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
My guess is that when the other pullets start to lay, one or more will start to use the nest box--and she, too, will likely move in--they do like to lay in the same nest. This is more likely than the new layers laying in "her place", if you gather that egg promtly and keep spreading out her "nesting material".

But another thought, is the nest box deep, with an easy entrance? Is the side of the nest box giving her the "safety" she is finding on the floor next to it? You have to learn to "think like a hen" (I know ), and be creative. Have you placed a nest box in her space? Mine are cardboard boxes , various sizes, but large enough to cut a hole in the side (far enough up to keep the straw in, but low enough for the birds to climb in. Some have to be tacked to the wall to keep from being upset by the cocks or some hens) They are just moved, hen, eggs and all, when the hen sets. And they are dumped after hatching, and new clean ones provided. I keep my eye out EVERY visit to the Super Market for boxes just the right size! You can work this out, as it is not good to have eggs on the floor, even if in a corner! Good luck, CJR :rolleyes:

#75289 - 07/30/05 05:24 PM Re: Ok how can i get her to use the nesting box?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi! I had a hen that started out in the yard and after two eggs got the jist of the box. I am sure she will find her way.

#75290 - 07/31/05 10:54 AM Re: Ok how can i get her to use the nesting box?
Amethyste Offline
Bantam

Loc: Washington
well took her almost 2 weeks but after having a good talking to yesterday lol I told her that she was the "role model" for the little ones and she needed to set a good example!! She needed to be a big girl and use the box like a grownup chook.

This am she was in the nesting box and laid an egg there :)I know it was just that she finally decided that this was a good spot but I cannot help thinking that maybe she really did listen to me lol

I was so proud of her!! Of course the promise of a bribe of salmon might have helped too....

Lissa

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn