Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#75358 - 04/22/08 10:53 AM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Bad Seed Girl Offline
Feather

Loc: Tennessee
we are using pine shavings as floor covering. The chicks have access to the coop, and a fenced run area 24/7. We built the coop under trees so they will have shade for the summer heat.
Our 4-H service is advising us to use a deep shaving method of floor care where you stir and layer the shavings on a weekly basis until you have 12" of floor covering. They have only been outside for about a week, but I have had my nephew stir up the shavings at least once a week.

#75359 - 04/22/08 11:33 AM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Massachusetts
whatever happened to cedar shavings ? They are good for killing moths and fleas . Do they harm poultry ?

#75360 - 04/22/08 12:17 PM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
I use cedar shavings for my adult birds and well, the chicks being reared by the mother hen outdoors are sleeping in cedar shavings-- they're good but will NOT prevent mites.

I had a mite infestation after a heavy rain spell coupled with a influx of migratory birds. I was using DE and sevin dust in their dust holes, their nest boxes. I did change a few habits like I got rid of all straw as I believe the straw shafts CAN harbor the nasty creatures and I switched to cedar shavings-- finally, after MUCH effort & good advice from my friends on here, I got rid of them. If a place is wet and your birds are outdoors, none of the so-called remedies is going to PREVENT mites if they are "around.". You can only hope that the DE, sevin and what-have-you DISCOURAGES the external parasites by making the environment more inhospitable for them.

The so-called harmful effect some attribute to cedar shavings is NOT true-- just an old wives tale. I use pine shavings with the chicks just because they tend to initially eat some of it.

#75361 - 04/22/08 02:58 PM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Bad Seed Girl Offline
Feather

We have a wood burning fireplace and I have an ash bucket full of black walnut ashes. I think I will try that. Now what do I put the ashes in? Do I just sprinkle them in the grass in the run area, in the coop (we don't have nesting boxes yet), both or in a box for them to roll in, what is my next step?

#75362 - 04/22/08 03:38 PM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
A shallow box, or a plastic basin. It doesn't matter as long as its heavy enough not to tip over. I have found that the hens like a mixture of sand, ash and dry dirt. I use this mixture in the winter, a). because the wood ash is freely available then, and b) because there are no dry soil patches to be found outside. I have a little A frame shelter which I leave in one spot and place the basin in. Hens are very smart. They soon become curious about a new object in the yard, and go investigate. When there are no other options about, they quickly take to using the basin.

#75363 - 04/22/08 05:55 PM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
One Doodle3 Offline
New Egg

Loc: West Virginia
Just a quick question. Where do you get pine shavings? I've heard of cedar shavings but not pine shavings.

Thanks.

Kaye

#75364 - 04/22/08 06:30 PM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
P. Smith1340 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oregon
My feed store sells them in a bale, or I'm sure you could find them at a pet store (Petco, Petsmart)

#75365 - 04/22/08 07:20 PM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Pine Shavings: Wal-mart will be the least expensive; my Feed Store runs a clsoe second. PetSmart is most expensive.

#75366 - 04/23/08 05:39 AM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
NW Chix Offline
Chicken

Loc: Washington
Here they are also called "White Shavings" and you can get them in a plastic-wrapped bale at the local feed and farm stores for about six or seven bucks. If you need a large amount of them and have a dry place for storage, you could have them delivered by the yard.

#75367 - 04/23/08 08:22 AM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Bad Seed Girl Offline
Feather

Our local TSC sells pine shavings under the term horse bedding.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn