Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#75368 - 04/23/08 10:13 AM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
As far as I'm concerned, the horse bedding from Tractor Supply Company is too dusty. They look like bags of saw dust to me. I used to use Poplar shavings but switched to large pine flake shavings that are available at my local Farmer's Co-op. They're a bit pricy ($7.99 per bale), but they're not nearly as dusty as the horse bedding or the Popular shavings.

#75369 - 04/23/08 12:40 PM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Bad Seed Girl Offline
Feather

Quote:
They do seem to appear magically--but they don't--there must be a source. Dry, dusty bedding makes a difficult place for them to move.
So wouldn't the TSC shavings be better for the birds in preventing mites?

#75370 - 04/23/08 01:42 PM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

My chickens stay confined in the barn most of the time, so I'm more concerned about the amount of dust. I don't think it's healthy for any animal to live in a dusty environment.

As far as mites, I keep my chickens sprayed on a regular basis, so I don't have much of a problem. I have screens over the windows and screen doors on both ends to allow for ventilation. The screen doors keep the wild birds out, which can be a major source for mites. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

#75371 - 04/23/08 08:26 PM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Bad Seed Girl Offline
Feather

Rhea, what do you spray them with?

#75372 - 04/24/08 04:47 AM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I sent you a private message. Click on "my profile" at the top of the page to read it and reply to it.

#75373 - 04/28/08 06:00 AM Re: Organic mite protection, does it exist?
Sally Joe Offline
Feather

Loc: New York
I recently read in a poultry book that using tobacco leaves and/or pennyroyal in your coop and nests helps to keep mites away. You can grow both and use the fresh clippings under whatever you put in the nest boxes and on the floor or you can buy a couple of pouches of chewing tobacco and some dry pennyroyal leaves which should be available in a health food store.

I like do things naturally also so have been using the DE and am now adding the tobacco and pennyroyal. I bought a pennyroyal plant and hope it will grow fast so I can use the fresh clippings. The article said that a small amount of either, will not hurt the chickens even if they eat a little of it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn