Topic Options
#75457 - 08/08/05 08:57 PM What is egg bound?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My hen layed two eggs last night, I think one did not have a shell. This is vey odd because she only lays in the a.m. Is two eggs within a short period of time normal? Can some one please tell me what is it when a hen is egg bound? How do I tell if this has happened to my hen? How do I treat it? And what can I do to prevent it in the future?

#75458 - 08/08/05 09:09 PM Re: What is egg bound?
Anonymous
Unregistered

not to worry.

egg bound is when a egg is too large to be laid and it stays stuck inside of the Hen.

#75459 - 08/08/05 09:14 PM Re: What is egg bound?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sometimes a Hen can lay two eggs within the same day. mine have before. its nothing to worry about.

and every once in a while a Hen can lay a egg without a shell. laying a egg without a shell takes longer then a egg with one. its also painful for the Hen. you can usually find these under the perches after your chickens have roosted for the night. since it takes longer sometimes there is a egg waiting to be laid right behind the Misshapen one.

#75460 - 08/09/05 01:35 PM Re: What is egg bound?
L. Haggarty Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Kentucky
Bongbaby,

The egg without a shell is most likely a sign that your chicken needs a source of calcium above and beyond that found in her food. How old is she? Sometimes pullets new to laying have some spurts and hiccups in their systems. At any rate, if you are not providing extra calcium, you should do so. An easy source is oyster shells, which is usually available at the feed store. Leave a container of it out for the birds to eat free choice.

Also, be aware that a hen lays an egg every 26 hours or so, so those who are laying in the morning won't continue to do so, they will cycle around a bit, sometimes morning, sometimes afternoons.

It doesn't sound as if your hen is eggbound. Signs of an eggbound bird are her vent becoming prolapsed (sticking out and looking red and sore), droopy looking, walking funny, and so on. Prolapse can be caused by too high a protein percentage in feed, most layers need about a 16% protein ration, which is what is available in most commercial foods. Avoid over-supplimenting protein, especially this time of year when most chickens are eating bugs (assuming yours are outside sometimes.)

Hope this answers your questions,

Cheers,

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn