Topic Options
#75539 - 06/12/07 02:37 AM bloody toes
Phil's Ann Offline
New Egg

Loc: Maryland
Two six week old chicks (out of 25) now have raw, bloody toes. One, in particular, is hunched down and obviously in pain. They're in a 12 X 12 house, plenty of high protein food and I haven't seen any bullying. Also, there isn't any manure on their feet, but there has been some diarrhea in the bedding. It looks like enough for maybe one chick to have trouble, but I don't know which one. I used hydrogen peroxide then a bactroban cream on the toes last night. Do they need to be removed from the others? A shed is attached to the coop, and I could put them there for a few days.

#75540 - 06/12/07 12:08 PM Re: bloody toes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are the chicks on wire? I've heard that wire can cause problems sometimes if they have no where to rest their feet. Just an idea, hope you figure it out.

#75541 - 06/13/07 10:03 AM Re: bloody toes
Phil's Ann Offline
New Egg

Loc: Maryland
Thanks, NightHawk. I saw a buff orp peck on one of the rock's toes after posting my question. So, it is cannibalism. Five barred rocks ended up being hurt, all barred rocks treated with pine tar, and the hurt ones separated. And I thought the buff orpington was such a sweet breed! LOL

#75542 - 06/14/07 09:54 PM Re: bloody toes
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's too bad. At least you caught them in the act and know now. I'm glad it sounds like they'll be getting better soon.

#75543 - 07/14/07 05:40 PM Re: bloody toes
Anti-Birdatarian Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
Glad you found out it was cannibalism.Another problem is if their toe nails come off,they BLEED alot!!! eek if that happens put dirt on the BLEEDING toe too stop the BLEEDING.Then put TEA TREE OIL on it.You might want too seperate the Chicken from the rest until it is not so sore. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! JULIA

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn