Topic Options
#75617 - 04/28/05 03:28 AM Dusting Pan Question
C. Newman Offline
Chicken

Loc: Virginia
Hi all. My hen-pen is built on hard, clay soil so my hens don't get to dust themselves much. I want to provide a dust pan but don't know what to fill it with. I'm thinking of using a large kitty-litter pan, maybe one with a high cover to keep rain out. I'd appreciate some suggestions on what I should put in it for dusting material. Thanks.

#75618 - 04/28/05 07:14 AM Re: Dusting Pan Question
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
i use a round galvanized tub about 30" across and 15" deep. they need room to spread out in there. also the sides need to be high enough so they dont throw all the dirt out.
as for the dirt, they like the driest, finest dusty dirt available, and like you said clay dirt is not usually like that.

just find some soft, dry, and fine grained dirt, that floats away if you were to drop a handfull on a windy day. put it in a suitable container and if you havent dusted your birds in a while add 3-4 shakes of carbaryl (sevin) dust to the bath. the carbaryl helps knock the paracites off the birds.

#75619 - 04/28/05 07:44 AM Re: Dusting Pan Question
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
If you burn wood and not too much garbage with it...plastics and stuff, just use cold wood ashes. They will eat some of the ashes too, and that's OK.

#75620 - 04/28/05 04:04 PM Re: Dusting Pan Question
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
I used wood ashes. Built what is the equivalant of a childs' sandbox, and along with some very fine dirt, I used to dump all my fireplace ashes in there as well. They loved it. Just be sure it's all wood. No painted, or treated wood, or as Jocelyn said, no other garbage like plastics.

#75621 - 05/02/05 07:16 PM Re: Dusting Pan Question
Chook Hilton Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
Yes the walls of your dustbath must be very high - I built one with only 5 inch walls, but the chooks just keep kicking all the dirt out - I have to continually refill it.

Great idea about the ash - I'll try it too.

#75622 - 05/03/05 06:05 AM Re: Dusting Pan Question
Freds Fine Fowl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm so glad people brought up the use of fire place ashes, it's great and also serves well to rid your birds of surface dwelling pests! So use ashes and hold off on the pesticides. You can also add some lime and fine sand is good to help sort of hold everything down a little, giving the base some substance. The litter box does seem a bit small, if you can, go larger so more than one chicken may use it at once. When I have a hen dusting herself, just when she seems to really be enjoying herself (wings spread and heeled over on her side) other chickens seem to feel the need to step on her ("> spoil sports.

#75623 - 05/03/05 12:19 PM Re: Dusting Pan Question
C. Newman Offline
Chicken

Loc: Virginia
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up with a big tub, about 30 inches across and 12 inches high. I used ashes that I cleaned out of the wood stove and picked through it to remove the unburned wood chunks. The chickens seem to like it. I should add some real dirt but haven't yet. I wonder if a bag of topsoil for gardening is ok to use?

#75624 - 05/03/05 04:39 PM Re: Dusting Pan Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fine sand would be better than topsoil.

#75625 - 05/03/05 09:28 PM Re: Dusting Pan Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm going to try this too. Maybe a mix of sifted wood ashes, some DE, a bit of fine dry dusty dirt, and a pinch of garlic... um... chicken stew! smile

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn