Topic Options
#75646 - 10/13/03 03:43 PM HELP crowed once now he is Rico Suavee
Anonymous
Unregistered

We just found out yesterday that she was a he. Crowed in the morning. Now he is jumping on my girls. Made one of them screech and now she is limping and I know it was his fault cause I came running to see what was going on. Sounded like somebody was trying to kill her. eek They are only 16 weeks old. It would have been nice if he would have waited another month to start jumping them but noooo. He is just so big compared to the girls and most of my chickens are big breeds. I really don't want him being a sexual preditor and harrasing the girls. Will he get over this eventually and settle down to being the "man" about the coop or what? confused 1 confirmed roo (1 in waiting maybe) to 20 girls should keep him in line.

#75647 - 10/13/03 05:05 PM Re: HELP crowed once now he is Rico Suavee
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
Yep, just like a guy laugh Jerry was doing the Wild Watusi with his coop mates yesterday and he looked very pleased with himself. You thought he was killing them with all the squawking.

#75648 - 10/13/03 05:23 PM Re: HELP crowed once now he is Rico Suavee
Anonymous
Unregistered

He should simmer down soon.

I would look at that hen who was limping and check to see if she's cut anywhere or look on her feet. She shouldn't be limping...

Hens do make a lot of racket when males breed them, but they get use to it after a while.

#75649 - 10/13/03 07:37 PM Re: HELP crowed once now he is Rico Suavee
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm the one with the neighbors that are weird about noise so I took the roo by the spurs and called 2 of them this evening. Told them that we had an unexpected sex change in the chickens and could I keep the roo. Told them I would not let him out until 8 to 8:30am. He should be quiet until then as there is no natural light in the coop and even if he isn't, at least he is inside. So far they said no sweat. I told the neighbors to just let me know if the roo becomes annoying and we would put him on a platter for supper. So I only have 2 more neighbors to ask. Wish me luck

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn