Topic Options
#75673 - 02/24/05 01:11 PM Closed coop after free-ranging
Weezie Offline
Bantam

Loc: North Carolina
Can't find my answer on search, sooooo:
My chickens are free ranging during the day, locked in at night. I am going out of town for 48 hours. Can I leave them locked in the coop for 2 days without causing irreparable harm?
I have 15 girls in 100 sq" enclosed.
Thanks,
Louisa

#75674 - 02/24/05 01:16 PM Re: Closed coop after free-ranging
Weezie Offline
Bantam

And along with the above question, the eggs won't be gathered that day. Will that encourage them to peck/eat them? It will be hard for me to get someone to come and collect them.
Louisa

#75675 - 02/24/05 01:28 PM Re: Closed coop after free-ranging
Anonymous
Unregistered

Depends on the breed, but 48 shouldn't be too hard on them. Just guessing, but at worst, you'll probably get some feather picking (mild cannibilism).

You might hang some cabbage heads from the ceiling, low enough for them to peck at while they're cooped up. That can help with boredom.

As for the eggs, I would definitely find someone to collect them. You're just asking for problems if you leave them for 2-days.

#75676 - 02/24/05 01:29 PM Re: Closed coop after free-ranging
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Two days should be okay, if water is secure and your feeder will contain enough for them.

Have you thought of cooping them all day several times before you must leave them, so you will KNOW what to expect and they will also have a short run of it and not be surprised?

Be sure your nest boxes are darkened, and you could expect a broken egg, but maybe not--if I should not collect eggs for a day or two when I am away (someone does come to feed) there is no problem, I just don't know for sure what date to write on the eggs.

GOod luck, CJR

#75677 - 02/24/05 02:28 PM Re: Closed coop after free-ranging
Weezie Offline
Bantam

OK, thanks.
I had to smile when I pictured cabbage heads hanging from the rafters!
(No time for a practice run--should have thought of all this sooner. I'm going this weekend.)

#75678 - 02/26/05 09:33 PM Re: Closed coop after free-ranging
HD Chick Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
Good pointers! Cabbage and darkened boxes, may I add golf balls in their boxes just in case they do peck you will have a chance at pecking the balls instead of the eggs. Does anyone else have curtains on their boxes? I made mine so cute. like little condo's..
Other idea's: hang broccoli, throw a bunch 1/2 to whole coffee can of scratch in the coop and put clean bedding ontop this will result in a nice clean coop by the time you get home because they will find it when bordem strikes.
1/3 bale of alfalfa (or grass alfalfa mixture)wrapped in twine really good and hung, this really keeps them busy along long time picking out the good stuff. Perfect for those days away.

Have a nice trip and try not to worry wink
Hope you have a timer for proper lighting?

#75679 - 03/04/05 11:09 AM Re: Closed coop after free-ranging
Bon Perez Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
I also have the same problem, except I'm looking at more like a week or so.

My husband wants to fertilize our fruit trees with a 16-16-16 chemical fertilizer. To prevent them them eating the chemical eek I was going to keep them cooped up for a week or so. Space isn't a problem, just being confined to a coop vs. free ranging 1/2 acre. About 8-9 months ago is when I started letting them free range, so it won't be new to them, just getting use to it again. Or do I really need to keep them coop up? :rolleyes:

#75680 - 03/06/05 06:47 AM Re: Closed coop after free-ranging
Anonymous
Unregistered

My hens now get quite agitated and aggressive if I leave them in the pen (I have twelve hens and a run of about 200 square feet of free space). They're used to running around on 1/3 of an acre and regard that now as a basic part of their union contract. If I were going away for a couple of days I'd probably want to hang a fresh cabbage in the run (the hard round white ones are their faves), put out down a temporary outside roost thingy so that the low bird on the totem pole could hop up and out of harm's way if she starts getting molested. Alternately I might try a wooden box open at two ends so that low-hen (a.k.a. pine tar bottom) could get out of the way.

And I'd get the neighbour's kid to come and collect eggs.

RJW

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn