Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#75727 - 01/16/04 09:04 AM Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

We got more hens and thus will have more eggs than we could ever eat per week, with the idea of selling some to friends and neighbors (my son's idea and enterprise). Can anyone recommend a fair price for a dozen fresh brown and blue-green eggs? We're not sure if it should be comparable to current store prices or a bit above since they are fresh and a novelty. What do folks seem to expect to pay for your fresh eggs? More or less than store prices? confused Thanks for any advice you can give me! smile

#75728 - 01/16/04 10:45 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I charge $1 a dozen because that's sort of the going price around here ... in a rural area where there's lots of people selling eggs off the farm. I'm sure my area is VERY different from California! Farm area, Midwestern bargain hunters prevail.

Good lukc with the new venture!

Ann

#75729 - 01/16/04 03:58 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most people in my area charge $1.00 a dozen as well up to $1.39 which is what it is in the stores latelyvg. I plan on keeping it just cheaper than the stores, but not so high that people won't buy them. You want to be able to make some money on selling the eggs and chikens if you deciede to sell any that are extra. I just bought Amerecuna(sorry about the spelling) eggs to hatch out, with plans to sell or eat any roos.

#75730 - 01/16/04 05:01 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ann. Do you sell any of your eggs to commercial businesses? Local grocery stores?

#75731 - 01/16/04 06:05 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it! smile

#75732 - 01/16/04 09:02 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd always go for slightly cheaper than the shops charge. It is always easier to just grab a dozen from the supermarket than to buy fresh from somewhere else. You have to make it attractive to people. That said you also have to cover costs, how much is it costing you to produce a dozen eggs? You don't want to loose money (unlikely as that is, hens not costing much to keep). I don't have enough to sell, I give a dozen to my folks now and again but I haven't got a huge excess. Sounds like a good way for the chickens to keep themselves though. wink

#75733 - 01/16/04 09:11 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Todd:
Ann. Do you sell any of your eggs to commercial businesses? Local grocery stores?
Oh, no We are such amateurs! I've been reading all the discussions and am thinking just friends and neighbors is about all I want to get involved with. Our only other outlet would be at the community hay auction but they are all farmers there looking for a bargain. And I'd have to pay commission! (I don't know about yardage LOL) But the girls are paying their way. They are the first pets we've ever had that did this.

Ann

#75734 - 01/17/04 09:29 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Gingit

I haven't ignored your thread, I've been up to my *** trying to get some fence lines cleared and some stuff lined up for spring/summer. There was a post on one of the boards I read (this is the best IMO) from a gal in So. CA that was selling a mixed dozen eggs (blue/green/brown/white) for $4.50. Claimed her 45 (I think) chickens couldn't keep up.

Markets vary, and you have to know and understand what your market is... My market is a more informed clientele that understands and appreciates the difference between the product I produce and the way I treat my animals. I don't expect to ever have a six-digit income from my operation; and that's not my objective. A comfortaable retirement income would be nice, though!! The people I seek as customers, actually seek me out through word of mouth referrals mostly, so my growth will be slower than others, but actually for now, that's what I want. Also since I rely to a great extent on this referral-based passive marketing, as long as I keep them happy the demand for my products should grow exponentially, I don't have to spend too much time marketing/educating, and I sell my products at retail prices, not wholesale.

There is no simple answer to how much you should sell your eggs for. If you are in an affluent area in S.C. and can chase down the right clientelle; there's no reason that you couldn't ask $8-10/doz. A lot of folks associated with the motion picture industry are SUPER passionate (some downright fanatic) about animal rights and factoy farms and certainly have the ability to pay that much. You might not sell hundreds of dozens a week, but... LOL

good luck - keep happy chickens

#75735 - 01/17/04 10:23 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a small egg business in Brookings, South Dakota - I say that to qualify myself. We've been doing this a number of years and recently expanded. We have several hundred layers (I believe it is somewhere around 500 now, but it is hard to know exactly.

There are two state agencies you must check with. You need to contact your state's Department of Revenue and you need to check with your state's Department of Agriculture. In order to SELL eggs in every state that I know of, you need 1) an egg candler/grader license, 2) a Class A egg dealer license and 3) a business license. Your state will be similar.

EVEN IF YOU ONLY SELL TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS, if you sell on a regular basis, you still need these licenses. Normally the State Department of Revenue is pretty permissive with respect to not requiring a business license of people who just have an occasional garage sale, but if you sell ANYTHING on a regular basis, you need a business license.

If you sell EGGS, the state in which you live will want you to abide by specific handling requirements. That is the purpose of the candler/grader license. If you sell eggs from your own flock and not someone else's to commercial outlets (restaurants, stores et cetera), then you need an egg dealer license (Class A). If you sell eggs from someone else's flock, you need a Class B egg dealer license.

Don't take this lightly. If you lived in my territory and I knew of you selling eggs, I would force the issue. I'm very up-front about this. I won't stab you in the back, I will stab you in the front while you are looking at me. For example, last season at our Farmers' Market, in which I have been a participant for quite a few years now, an elderly farm woman came to sell eggs and set up next to me. I showed her my licenses (I carry a copy of them in my truck at all times) and informed her that she needed these licenses as well in order to sell eggs. She never came back to Farmers' Market, and if she had, I would have asked the state to check on her paperwork.

Regarding pricing, we have had that discussion here several times. You can use the search utility to find out what has been posted in the past.

#75736 - 01/17/04 10:26 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I agree with it depending on your buyers. I sell for $1.50/doz to my husband's co-workers. Our regular buyers there are typically people who had chickens at some point in their life and they appreciate the quality difference. My price is higher than the regular grocery store eggs, but considerably LOWER than the new "designer eggs" carried at the grocery store. So, I have hit a middle ground on that. I also ask for my cartons to be returned and I'm hitting about 80% on that I think. I figure a carton, with my label, costs me about 25, so every one I get back increases my profit.

If a neighbor buys from my home, they get their eggs in a paper sack, and I charge only $1/dozen. These are people who are willing to stop by my house on their way home, and probably can't afford to pay much above the store price.

If I chose to sell at one of the local farmer's markets, which caters to a more "new-age" type crowd, I'm betting I could easily get $2.50. But the fees for selling there make it not so appealing. However, another area farmer's market charges no fees, but the people attracted to that one probably would not pay more than $1/dozen. Catch-22 on that deal!

Susie

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn