Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#75737 - 01/17/04 10:35 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder how many of you people selling eggs are really legal.

In South Dakota, violations can land you a year in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Like I said, I'll report you if you sell in my territory.

#75738 - 01/17/04 11:20 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Leee,

I saw your other thread and enjoyed it very much. (It is amazing the different treatment you experienced with you vs. Sandra doing the marketing.) I saw there that someone (Bennetta I think) posted that she was just selling to friends and neighbors and thus the licensing was not necessary - no one said anything to the contrary so I thought this would be okay. In fact, I do not have near as wonderful an enterprise as you have going - I have only enough hens to sell a few dozen per week to neighbors - 3 customers total. Pocket money for my 11 yr. old. Lemonade stand stuff - without the stand. If it begins to grow in any way I would get the licenses and I appreciate the heads-up and information on doing so. Good luck with your business!!!

#75739 - 01/17/04 11:33 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my state it is NOT OK to just sell to family and friends. You still need the licenses.

Frankly, I believe the person who told you that it is OK to sell to family and friends is DEAD WRONG.

Do yourself a favor and contact your state's Dept. of Agriculture and Dept. of Revenue. Ask them. Do what they tell you and you'll be safe.

#75740 - 01/17/04 11:52 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think some states might be stickier than others ... ? Something to look into.

What DOES kind of creep me out about selling broilers is handling someone else's food. What if they get sick? For this reason I doubt we're going to go into THAT big time!

Ann

#75741 - 01/17/04 11:58 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice Leee.

#75742 - 01/17/04 12:05 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you Bill and Susie for your input, it gives me some idea of going rates and the variables involved esp if one were doing it on a larger scale.

Bill, I know what you mean about being up to your eyeballs - I'm trying to get a shed painted today while the good weather holds out! Good luck finishing your projects! smile

#75743 - 01/17/04 12:08 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just checked my state's egg regulations. Farmers and "bona fide" egg producers can sell their own eggs from their own flocks. Whew! We are legal!

#75744 - 01/17/04 12:31 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

You checked them on Saturday? And there was someone there? You live in Michigan? I'll give them a call on Monday.

#75745 - 01/17/04 12:49 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Michigan Dept. of Agriculture is 1-800-292-3939.

I will call them Monday to verify the information posted in this thread (which I don't believe).

#75746 - 01/17/04 01:14 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I just put out a sign and sell eggs, etc. The chance of getting busted are slim. There are so many small farms in Pa. and they are all selling some kind of food and no one has permits. Home bakeries and jelly/jam and processed foods must be licensed and inspected.. To sell our beef and pork(to skirt the laws) we sell the live animal then deliver to the butcher. Our cost is based on dressed weight.
When I was forced to report income, we started to do a farm tax return and lost moner every year for 20 years. We actually made a good profit but depreciation and other technical losses showed a business loss. All laws can be skirted and many times can become good for your pocketbook when you learn the ropes.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn