Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#75747 - 01/17/04 03:04 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Lee, in my state (Arkansas) there is no license requirement as long as I have less than 200 hens. That's their breakover on most regulations. All I have to do is put my name, address and phone number on the cartons, wash the eggs and NOT grade or size them and I'm legal to sell. I can even sell them to local stores for resale this way.

As for business licenses in general, I was told as long as there is not steady or disruptive traffic to my home, no business license is necessary out where I live (not in city limits). If neighbors complained about traffic because of my home business, then I'd be required to go through the licensing process. Fat chance that will happen selling eggs though. wink

Yes, everybody should check with their state, and Lee I think you are right in making sure those around you make the effort to go through the process you have had to go through in your state. That's only fair.

Susie

#75748 - 01/17/04 03:55 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's cool Susie! And with regards to your last paragraph, I agree with you wholeheartedly! smile

#75749 - 01/17/04 06:11 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
A simple question for Leee... I understand your defence of being legal now that you are indeed a bonafide egg dealer...

Before you got your licence, were you still selling them?

It is really interesting finding out what each State requires.

#75750 - 01/17/04 08:52 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Leee:
You checked them on Saturday? And there was someone there? You live in Michigan? I'll give them a call on Monday.
Go to Indiana Egg Board's website. It's in there. I would suggest that everyone check their own state/provincial agencies to be sure.

Here is an excerpt from Indiana's egg law:

16-42-11-8 Farmers' and egg producers' exemption

Sec. 8. Farmers and other bona fide egg producers who sell and deliver, on the premises where produced, eggs produced by their own flocks on their own premises are exempt from this chapter. As added by P.L.2-1993, SEC.25.

16-42-11-9 Farmers or egg producers wholesaler or retailer registration

Sec. 9. A farmer or bona fide egg producer may apply for registration as a wholesaler or retailer under this chapter and may, upon application, after being registered receive a permit to sell eggs. As added by P.L.2-1993, SEC.25.

#75751 - 01/17/04 09:04 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ratbird, I used to believe everybody was legal. The egg candler/grader license is easy to get as is the business license. The Class A Egg Dealer license in South Dakota involves a site inspection by the SD Dept. of Agriculture. In South Dakota you don't need the Class A Egg Dealer license unless you're going to sell to retial outlets which we only started doing a couple of months ago. It took a while to get all that scheduled largely because the SDDA inspectors are in the process of moving their offices.

At our Farmers' Market, you can't be a vendor without a business license and I've had one since about 1994 (I also own a small chemical consulting firm, Chemical Process Modeling,Inc. that is incorporated in South Dakota) so, I do my best to be legal. Throwing money away is an activity I strongly dislike (traffic tickets, obeyance fines, you know...). The City Council sends someone to Farmers' Market every year to check the vendors' licenses.

To answer your question specifically: no. I didn't sell to retail outlets before I had my class A egg dealer's license. When the opportunity arose to have shelf space in a gas station / convenience store, we began the process of getting licensed. When the license came through it was dated generously on the front-end as well as the back-end. The people in the SDDA are really a pleasure to work with.

Rob, I understand your post --- but, at least here, the South Dakota Dept. of Agriculture DOES check. They scan newspapers for ads and then check them out. They field lots of complaints from the people and they do check. Particularly if you're selling "out in the open" like a Farmers' Market where you're very visible, you're gonna get busted if your licenses are not in order.

#75752 - 01/17/04 09:36 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cloverfarm, as I read the Indiana laws, it looks like you can sell eggs, without a license, only to people who come on your farm to buy them, and the transaction takes place there.

The minute you step off to sell at a Farmers' Market or some other place, you're in violation. So, don't deliver them - don't give them to someone to take to their workplace in town to sell to friends, and so on. On this forum, I've seen people post that they give eggs to hubby to take to work to sell to friends - as I read the Indiana lay you are prohibited from doing that, unless you get a license.

You are a "retailer" under Indiana law.

#75753 - 01/17/04 09:52 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Susie, the information you posted is consistent with Arkansas egg laws with the addition that you have to obliterate the size and grade specifications if you use used cartons with that information.

I'm surprised that Arkansas lets you sell in used cartons. We can't. We have to sell in new cartons. And I didn;t see any stipulation as to the process for cleaning the eggs. South Dakota is very specific about that.

#75754 - 01/18/04 02:50 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok. My name is BERETTA, i'm a guy. I live in Australia, and our rules are MUCH MORE LENIENT THAN YOUR RULES IN THE US. I didn't try to cause trouble, but I could sell eggs to our local store who would resell them - NO LICENSES OR PAPERWORK INVOLVED. I haven't done it yet, but will make an attempt.

You see everyone, Australia doesn't have rules like the USA, in fact you could say that your rules are ten times tougher than ours. Now everyone in AUS sells eggs to family and friens, there is NO fines, in fact it seems pretty legal. Obviously supermarkets won't buy them off you, but small country general stores certainly do.

Also, organic eggs sell in our supermarkets for about $6 AUD a dozen, and free-range eggs go for about $2 - $2.50 AUD when you just sell them to people you know.

Now I don't see the trouble in selling eggs to locals, and I'm not worries about being sued! I'll continue to do it - everyone here does.

Good day everyone. mad

BERETTA.

#75755 - 01/18/04 02:58 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, yeah, we all re-use cartons, eggs don't get cleaned (supermarkets, of course, use new cartons and clean eggs, I'm just talking us small-time hobby egg-sellers and breeders), and some butchers sell them on their counters in massive shopping centres - and the authorities don't think anything of it. I think some are just too restrictive. I wouldn't even think of selling eggs or chooks if I had to have permits & liscenses. It destroys half the fun in having chooks and selling eggs to neighbors.

BERETTA confused

#75756 - 01/18/04 07:52 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Beretta!

Thank you for posting, and for setting me straight on your name and clarifying your gender (sorry about that- I was pressed for time and couldn't go back and find the thread and check it!) It was also interesting to get the specifics on why you didn't need licensing - being in a different country makes a big difference and I should've noticed that. smile

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn