Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#75767 - 03/09/04 10:09 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

So what would happen if you were to *give* friends/families/neighbors eggs and they were to *donate* a dollar or two for your trouble? Would you then be required to have a license?

#75768 - 03/10/04 04:52 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read this thread a while ago and I replied a while ago yet this is one of those rare threads that haunts me. I think of this thread almost every day.

I just can not shake the image of a poor farm lady being run off with her eggs. I am felling bad for the farm lady. What if the eggs she sold at the farmers market helped pay her electric, her phone, heating fuel, medicine, food, chickens? There are so many things that the lady may have used the money for. I feel it is a shame that she may have had to go without something because she was unable to sell a few dozen eggs.

Personally, if I had been at the market and witnessed the little old farm lady being run off, I would have purchased every carton of eggs she had (I support the underdog).

I just get a real sick feeling when I think of how that lady must have felt. In my minds eye I picture a wonderful lady who has spent her entire life farming. She has sold eggs all those years for extra spending money. Through the years she may have purchased scraps of fabric to make quilts. She may have saved her egg money to buy a little boy or girl a bike. She may have used the money from the sale of her eggs to buy the seeds and plants she needed for her vegetable garden or maybe she bought pretty flowers to plant along her walkway. There are so many different things she may have relied on that extra money for and then one day she was told that selling her eggs is against the law because she doesn't have paperwork saying she can sell her eggs.

To me, to approach the lady and worry her is a shame. It is almost like a piece of rural America was stolen from her and all others who may have purchased eggs from her. Even those of us who would never come in contact with the farm lady have had a bit more of rural America stolen from us. How sad!

Every time I think about this thread, my heart feels for the old farm lady.

Sorry, maybe now that I have said what has been on my mind from the beginning, I can stop worrying so much about the old farm lady.

George

#75769 - 03/10/04 08:35 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

George:

I am glad to see some people still look at the human factor. Is is right to sell eggs where the state clearly states a license or licenses are needed...no it isn't right. Do people do things without the knowledge that things need to be done in a certain fashion...yes, we all do, until we are educated to the facts.

That old lady might have been in need for money for practical things or she might have been using the money to get booze...we don't know. The fact that Leee was direct with her might seem hurtful or aggressive, but in reality getting arrested and put in jail or paying a large fine might have caused more harm. The court system and the law don't look at naiveness as an excuse.

I do wish to sell eggs, but don't plan to make it a livelihood. I will get the licenses I need more for safe reasons...like liability if someone gets ill and decides to sue me I will at least have all my chickens lined up...pun planned.

I am glad you raise orpingtons (buff). I wish to chat with you more later. As you know I too am raising orpingtons-buff, black, white standard. I am working on reintroducing the red standard orpington.

Well. Keep you positive outlook on life and your big heart. We need more people like you. Peace.

Mike smile

#75770 - 03/11/04 06:55 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Orpmike, that was the nicest reply. smile Well-put, and I agree completely.

George, I also was touched by your big heart and concern. Don't lose that outlook. smile I'm glad you shared you heartfelt feelings with us.

#75771 - 03/11/04 08:24 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, like many of you, I was a little haunted by this thread. Leee- you did come across a little strong. Even though your messege was well intended, you could have found a nicer way to bring it across to the other members of the board. If I had been at the farmers market when you ran off the little old lady, I too would have bought up all her eggs, even if I had to feed them to pigs or dogs, if for no other reason but to save her some dignity. I have been a law enforcement / criminal justice professional for over 23 years and I can honestly tell you that I would not have arrested the little old lady on that day. Sometimes you have to use discretion and weigh the intent of a persons actions vs. the exact wording of the law. She meant no harm and was probably ignorant of the licensing requirements. A friendly conversation telling her about the license would have gone further than being confrontational and protective about this subject.
I checked with the Michigan Department of Agriculture about this subject. It took a week before the poultry rep for my region called me back, but this is their official stance on farm eggs being sold:
Farmers and backyard flock owners may sell their eggs to anybody except retail establishments-i.e. grocery stores- without obtaining a license. You may post a "Eggs For Sale" out by the road and can sell them to co-workers, friends, neighbors and drive by's without a license. He said you should candle them so you don't sell eggs with blood spots, but that is not required. New cartons are not required for these sales either. There is also no limit on how many birds you may have, nor that the roosters be kept separate from the hens. But if you sell to stores for resale, a whole new set of rules come into play.
The Ag rep also said that after his first visit to a egg producing plant, he went out and got a few hens for his home. That should tell you something about the big "professional" egg plants that the general public gets their eggs from!

#75772 - 03/11/04 02:08 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
We get about a dozen eggs a day. Much more than we can possibly eat. We give them away, barter or Koha. Koha is a gift, or a donation.

I sometime help out at a winery and our eggs go well down there and I come home with a bottle or 2 of wine. People visit and leave with a dozen eggs under their arm.

What I love about it is the pleasure in giving and knowing that we are educating people about battery hens and the obvious advantage to home grown eggs from *real* happy hens. And the eggs always are well received. It's amazing what a kick people get out of an assortment of giant brown eggs, a variety of white-tan eggs and tiny blue eggs.

In saying that, and knowing I never intend to sell eggs, I am itching to know the regulations for California.

It is not like most people intend on making their living off selling eggs. If it covers the cost of the chicken feed..... hey, live and let live.

#75773 - 03/11/04 05:58 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right on ratbird!Live and let live! Boy I love my seven girls and three boys.They bring me and my family such happiness.

#75774 - 03/11/04 06:54 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well.... it's been a long time since I looked at this thread.

I really don't have anything positive to add. Those of you who trivialize the issue are just wrong. Do you remember the kids that died from the E-coli. infections a few years ago? Only one of them ate at the Jack-in-the-Box that was responsible. The other kids went to a day care center where the day care workers didn't wash their hands after changing diapers before handling food for the other kids. They went straight from wiping butts to preparing lunch with no hand-washing. Children died in that episode. This is actually very common. One of those news programs (60 minutes, 20/20 or 48 hours) did a sting show about this. Although the day care told parents that they ALWAYS wash hands after butt-wiping, the hidden camera proved otherwise. This is rampant. I thank God my kids are out of day care now.

Eggs come from a hen's butt. They need to be handled and packaged properly. The way the gov't insures that is through licensing.

End of story.

And, yes, at least in my part of the country there are thousands and thousands of illegal egg packs on sale right now. Sold in dirty, used cartons, not properly washed and sanitized, improperly stored after collection and on and on.

#75775 - 03/11/04 08:33 PM Re: Selling Eggs
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Now boys, lets not get emotional here. The reason that so many folks get sick of Norwalk-like virus is this anal-oral link that is not broken by slobs not washing their hands......seems like the cruise ships aren't the only problem area as is the British Army in the Middle East. The fact is cleanliness IS next to Godliness!

#75776 - 03/11/04 10:13 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya know what Lee, I've heard enough. I don't think anyone here is trivializing - and no one here I have seen but YOU is selling eggs to commercial stores or restaurants - most who have written here are within their laws, having checked on them, as small backyard farmers selling and giving their eggs away to friends and relatives. YES, the people selling eggs alongside yours in stores that are not licensed are ILLEGAL. YES, it is a pisser. Yes, it obviously has you upset - as it would me. It is on their conscience and the store owners - they should not be doing it. Now just leave us backyard folks who legally sell a dozen here or there to friends and neighbors to cover the cost of feed ALONE. If people were getting sick and dying left and right from eating backyard farmer's eggs believe me we'd be hearing about it. But guess what, it isn't happening. Because I'm sure, even if you're not (and by the way the implication was insulting), that we are all washing our eggs and using good hygiene when we handle our eggs. (in fact I use even more care when handling eggs I know will go to a friend). (I also have little kids and taught preschool and as a result am in the habbit of washing my hands constantly - and will not handle food or put away clean dishes or anything without washing my hands first - as a result I have the driest hands in 4 counties but I know my food is clean!)

Just because you have to have a fancy license, and do, does not mean you are clean or know more about being clean than anyone else around here or give you the right to shove it down everyone's throats. Yes you've caught me on a bad day. I admire you for your intelligence and humor and have often followed threads in which you took part and enjoyed them, but I will not sit by and hear you be ridiculously close-minded, rude and disgusting without saying something. For someone who is so obviously intelligent I can't believe how irrational and completely foggy in the crumpet you get once on this subject! Get a life and leave us be!

What do you think folks, should I lock this one down? Or is there more that needs to be said?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn