Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#75727 - 01/16/04 09:04 AM Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

We got more hens and thus will have more eggs than we could ever eat per week, with the idea of selling some to friends and neighbors (my son's idea and enterprise). Can anyone recommend a fair price for a dozen fresh brown and blue-green eggs? We're not sure if it should be comparable to current store prices or a bit above since they are fresh and a novelty. What do folks seem to expect to pay for your fresh eggs? More or less than store prices? confused Thanks for any advice you can give me! smile

#75728 - 01/16/04 10:45 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I charge $1 a dozen because that's sort of the going price around here ... in a rural area where there's lots of people selling eggs off the farm. I'm sure my area is VERY different from California! Farm area, Midwestern bargain hunters prevail.

Good lukc with the new venture!

Ann

#75729 - 01/16/04 03:58 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most people in my area charge $1.00 a dozen as well up to $1.39 which is what it is in the stores latelyvg. I plan on keeping it just cheaper than the stores, but not so high that people won't buy them. You want to be able to make some money on selling the eggs and chikens if you deciede to sell any that are extra. I just bought Amerecuna(sorry about the spelling) eggs to hatch out, with plans to sell or eat any roos.

#75730 - 01/16/04 05:01 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ann. Do you sell any of your eggs to commercial businesses? Local grocery stores?

#75731 - 01/16/04 06:05 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it! smile

#75732 - 01/16/04 09:02 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd always go for slightly cheaper than the shops charge. It is always easier to just grab a dozen from the supermarket than to buy fresh from somewhere else. You have to make it attractive to people. That said you also have to cover costs, how much is it costing you to produce a dozen eggs? You don't want to loose money (unlikely as that is, hens not costing much to keep). I don't have enough to sell, I give a dozen to my folks now and again but I haven't got a huge excess. Sounds like a good way for the chickens to keep themselves though. wink

#75733 - 01/16/04 09:11 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Todd:
Ann. Do you sell any of your eggs to commercial businesses? Local grocery stores?
Oh, no We are such amateurs! I've been reading all the discussions and am thinking just friends and neighbors is about all I want to get involved with. Our only other outlet would be at the community hay auction but they are all farmers there looking for a bargain. And I'd have to pay commission! (I don't know about yardage LOL) But the girls are paying their way. They are the first pets we've ever had that did this.

Ann

#75734 - 01/17/04 09:29 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Gingit

I haven't ignored your thread, I've been up to my *** trying to get some fence lines cleared and some stuff lined up for spring/summer. There was a post on one of the boards I read (this is the best IMO) from a gal in So. CA that was selling a mixed dozen eggs (blue/green/brown/white) for $4.50. Claimed her 45 (I think) chickens couldn't keep up.

Markets vary, and you have to know and understand what your market is... My market is a more informed clientele that understands and appreciates the difference between the product I produce and the way I treat my animals. I don't expect to ever have a six-digit income from my operation; and that's not my objective. A comfortaable retirement income would be nice, though!! The people I seek as customers, actually seek me out through word of mouth referrals mostly, so my growth will be slower than others, but actually for now, that's what I want. Also since I rely to a great extent on this referral-based passive marketing, as long as I keep them happy the demand for my products should grow exponentially, I don't have to spend too much time marketing/educating, and I sell my products at retail prices, not wholesale.

There is no simple answer to how much you should sell your eggs for. If you are in an affluent area in S.C. and can chase down the right clientelle; there's no reason that you couldn't ask $8-10/doz. A lot of folks associated with the motion picture industry are SUPER passionate (some downright fanatic) about animal rights and factoy farms and certainly have the ability to pay that much. You might not sell hundreds of dozens a week, but... LOL

good luck - keep happy chickens

#75735 - 01/17/04 10:23 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a small egg business in Brookings, South Dakota - I say that to qualify myself. We've been doing this a number of years and recently expanded. We have several hundred layers (I believe it is somewhere around 500 now, but it is hard to know exactly.

There are two state agencies you must check with. You need to contact your state's Department of Revenue and you need to check with your state's Department of Agriculture. In order to SELL eggs in every state that I know of, you need 1) an egg candler/grader license, 2) a Class A egg dealer license and 3) a business license. Your state will be similar.

EVEN IF YOU ONLY SELL TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS, if you sell on a regular basis, you still need these licenses. Normally the State Department of Revenue is pretty permissive with respect to not requiring a business license of people who just have an occasional garage sale, but if you sell ANYTHING on a regular basis, you need a business license.

If you sell EGGS, the state in which you live will want you to abide by specific handling requirements. That is the purpose of the candler/grader license. If you sell eggs from your own flock and not someone else's to commercial outlets (restaurants, stores et cetera), then you need an egg dealer license (Class A). If you sell eggs from someone else's flock, you need a Class B egg dealer license.

Don't take this lightly. If you lived in my territory and I knew of you selling eggs, I would force the issue. I'm very up-front about this. I won't stab you in the back, I will stab you in the front while you are looking at me. For example, last season at our Farmers' Market, in which I have been a participant for quite a few years now, an elderly farm woman came to sell eggs and set up next to me. I showed her my licenses (I carry a copy of them in my truck at all times) and informed her that she needed these licenses as well in order to sell eggs. She never came back to Farmers' Market, and if she had, I would have asked the state to check on her paperwork.

Regarding pricing, we have had that discussion here several times. You can use the search utility to find out what has been posted in the past.

#75736 - 01/17/04 10:26 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I agree with it depending on your buyers. I sell for $1.50/doz to my husband's co-workers. Our regular buyers there are typically people who had chickens at some point in their life and they appreciate the quality difference. My price is higher than the regular grocery store eggs, but considerably LOWER than the new "designer eggs" carried at the grocery store. So, I have hit a middle ground on that. I also ask for my cartons to be returned and I'm hitting about 80% on that I think. I figure a carton, with my label, costs me about 25˘, so every one I get back increases my profit.

If a neighbor buys from my home, they get their eggs in a paper sack, and I charge only $1/dozen. These are people who are willing to stop by my house on their way home, and probably can't afford to pay much above the store price.

If I chose to sell at one of the local farmer's markets, which caters to a more "new-age" type crowd, I'm betting I could easily get $2.50. But the fees for selling there make it not so appealing. However, another area farmer's market charges no fees, but the people attracted to that one probably would not pay more than $1/dozen. Catch-22 on that deal!

Susie

#75737 - 01/17/04 10:35 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder how many of you people selling eggs are really legal.

In South Dakota, violations can land you a year in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Like I said, I'll report you if you sell in my territory.

#75738 - 01/17/04 11:20 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Leee,

I saw your other thread and enjoyed it very much. (It is amazing the different treatment you experienced with you vs. Sandra doing the marketing.) I saw there that someone (Bennetta I think) posted that she was just selling to friends and neighbors and thus the licensing was not necessary - no one said anything to the contrary so I thought this would be okay. In fact, I do not have near as wonderful an enterprise as you have going - I have only enough hens to sell a few dozen per week to neighbors - 3 customers total. Pocket money for my 11 yr. old. Lemonade stand stuff - without the stand. If it begins to grow in any way I would get the licenses and I appreciate the heads-up and information on doing so. Good luck with your business!!!

#75739 - 01/17/04 11:33 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my state it is NOT OK to just sell to family and friends. You still need the licenses.

Frankly, I believe the person who told you that it is OK to sell to family and friends is DEAD WRONG.

Do yourself a favor and contact your state's Dept. of Agriculture and Dept. of Revenue. Ask them. Do what they tell you and you'll be safe.

#75740 - 01/17/04 11:52 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think some states might be stickier than others ... ? Something to look into.

What DOES kind of creep me out about selling broilers is handling someone else's food. What if they get sick? For this reason I doubt we're going to go into THAT big time!

Ann

#75741 - 01/17/04 11:58 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice Leee.

#75742 - 01/17/04 12:05 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you Bill and Susie for your input, it gives me some idea of going rates and the variables involved esp if one were doing it on a larger scale.

Bill, I know what you mean about being up to your eyeballs - I'm trying to get a shed painted today while the good weather holds out! Good luck finishing your projects! smile

#75743 - 01/17/04 12:08 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just checked my state's egg regulations. Farmers and "bona fide" egg producers can sell their own eggs from their own flocks. Whew! We are legal!

#75744 - 01/17/04 12:31 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

You checked them on Saturday? And there was someone there? You live in Michigan? I'll give them a call on Monday.

#75745 - 01/17/04 12:49 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Michigan Dept. of Agriculture is 1-800-292-3939.

I will call them Monday to verify the information posted in this thread (which I don't believe).

#75746 - 01/17/04 01:14 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I just put out a sign and sell eggs, etc. The chance of getting busted are slim. There are so many small farms in Pa. and they are all selling some kind of food and no one has permits. Home bakeries and jelly/jam and processed foods must be licensed and inspected.. To sell our beef and pork(to skirt the laws) we sell the live animal then deliver to the butcher. Our cost is based on dressed weight.
When I was forced to report income, we started to do a farm tax return and lost moner every year for 20 years. We actually made a good profit but depreciation and other technical losses showed a business loss. All laws can be skirted and many times can become good for your pocketbook when you learn the ropes.

#75747 - 01/17/04 03:04 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Lee, in my state (Arkansas) there is no license requirement as long as I have less than 200 hens. That's their breakover on most regulations. All I have to do is put my name, address and phone number on the cartons, wash the eggs and NOT grade or size them and I'm legal to sell. I can even sell them to local stores for resale this way.

As for business licenses in general, I was told as long as there is not steady or disruptive traffic to my home, no business license is necessary out where I live (not in city limits). If neighbors complained about traffic because of my home business, then I'd be required to go through the licensing process. Fat chance that will happen selling eggs though. wink

Yes, everybody should check with their state, and Lee I think you are right in making sure those around you make the effort to go through the process you have had to go through in your state. That's only fair.

Susie

#75748 - 01/17/04 03:55 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's cool Susie! And with regards to your last paragraph, I agree with you wholeheartedly! smile

#75749 - 01/17/04 06:11 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
A simple question for Leee... I understand your defence of being legal now that you are indeed a bonafide egg dealer...

Before you got your licence, were you still selling them?

It is really interesting finding out what each State requires.

#75750 - 01/17/04 08:52 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Leee:
You checked them on Saturday? And there was someone there? You live in Michigan? I'll give them a call on Monday.
Go to Indiana Egg Board's website. It's in there. I would suggest that everyone check their own state/provincial agencies to be sure.

Here is an excerpt from Indiana's egg law:

16-42-11-8 Farmers' and egg producers' exemption

Sec. 8. Farmers and other bona fide egg producers who sell and deliver, on the premises where produced, eggs produced by their own flocks on their own premises are exempt from this chapter. As added by P.L.2-1993, SEC.25.

16-42-11-9 Farmers or egg producers wholesaler or retailer registration

Sec. 9. A farmer or bona fide egg producer may apply for registration as a wholesaler or retailer under this chapter and may, upon application, after being registered receive a permit to sell eggs. As added by P.L.2-1993, SEC.25.

#75751 - 01/17/04 09:04 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ratbird, I used to believe everybody was legal. The egg candler/grader license is easy to get as is the business license. The Class A Egg Dealer license in South Dakota involves a site inspection by the SD Dept. of Agriculture. In South Dakota you don't need the Class A Egg Dealer license unless you're going to sell to retial outlets which we only started doing a couple of months ago. It took a while to get all that scheduled largely because the SDDA inspectors are in the process of moving their offices.

At our Farmers' Market, you can't be a vendor without a business license and I've had one since about 1994 (I also own a small chemical consulting firm, Chemical Process Modeling,Inc. that is incorporated in South Dakota) so, I do my best to be legal. Throwing money away is an activity I strongly dislike (traffic tickets, obeyance fines, you know...). The City Council sends someone to Farmers' Market every year to check the vendors' licenses.

To answer your question specifically: no. I didn't sell to retail outlets before I had my class A egg dealer's license. When the opportunity arose to have shelf space in a gas station / convenience store, we began the process of getting licensed. When the license came through it was dated generously on the front-end as well as the back-end. The people in the SDDA are really a pleasure to work with.

Rob, I understand your post --- but, at least here, the South Dakota Dept. of Agriculture DOES check. They scan newspapers for ads and then check them out. They field lots of complaints from the people and they do check. Particularly if you're selling "out in the open" like a Farmers' Market where you're very visible, you're gonna get busted if your licenses are not in order.

#75752 - 01/17/04 09:36 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cloverfarm, as I read the Indiana laws, it looks like you can sell eggs, without a license, only to people who come on your farm to buy them, and the transaction takes place there.

The minute you step off to sell at a Farmers' Market or some other place, you're in violation. So, don't deliver them - don't give them to someone to take to their workplace in town to sell to friends, and so on. On this forum, I've seen people post that they give eggs to hubby to take to work to sell to friends - as I read the Indiana lay you are prohibited from doing that, unless you get a license.

You are a "retailer" under Indiana law.

#75753 - 01/17/04 09:52 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Susie, the information you posted is consistent with Arkansas egg laws with the addition that you have to obliterate the size and grade specifications if you use used cartons with that information.

I'm surprised that Arkansas lets you sell in used cartons. We can't. We have to sell in new cartons. And I didn;t see any stipulation as to the process for cleaning the eggs. South Dakota is very specific about that.

#75754 - 01/18/04 02:50 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok. My name is BERETTA, i'm a guy. I live in Australia, and our rules are MUCH MORE LENIENT THAN YOUR RULES IN THE US. I didn't try to cause trouble, but I could sell eggs to our local store who would resell them - NO LICENSES OR PAPERWORK INVOLVED. I haven't done it yet, but will make an attempt.

You see everyone, Australia doesn't have rules like the USA, in fact you could say that your rules are ten times tougher than ours. Now everyone in AUS sells eggs to family and friens, there is NO fines, in fact it seems pretty legal. Obviously supermarkets won't buy them off you, but small country general stores certainly do.

Also, organic eggs sell in our supermarkets for about $6 AUD a dozen, and free-range eggs go for about $2 - $2.50 AUD when you just sell them to people you know.

Now I don't see the trouble in selling eggs to locals, and I'm not worries about being sued! I'll continue to do it - everyone here does.

Good day everyone. mad

BERETTA.

#75755 - 01/18/04 02:58 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, yeah, we all re-use cartons, eggs don't get cleaned (supermarkets, of course, use new cartons and clean eggs, I'm just talking us small-time hobby egg-sellers and breeders), and some butchers sell them on their counters in massive shopping centres - and the authorities don't think anything of it. I think some are just too restrictive. I wouldn't even think of selling eggs or chooks if I had to have permits & liscenses. It destroys half the fun in having chooks and selling eggs to neighbors.

BERETTA confused

#75756 - 01/18/04 07:52 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Beretta!

Thank you for posting, and for setting me straight on your name and clarifying your gender (sorry about that- I was pressed for time and couldn't go back and find the thread and check it!) It was also interesting to get the specifics on why you didn't need licensing - being in a different country makes a big difference and I should've noticed that. smile

#75757 - 01/18/04 12:06 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

It doesn't seem very fair to make people feel they are under investigation just for asking or sharing advise. confused Obviously not every state is the same when it comes to these regulations.
Tammy

#75758 - 01/18/04 01:01 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Every state has different regulations. At the same time, EVERY STATE HAS REGULATIONS.

At present, I have changed my mind. I used to believe that everyone was legal - now, I believe that most are not.

If you want to sell eggs, you should obey the law. There are reasons for those laws above and beyone the gov't penchant for harassing (sp) people.

No one here is under investigation as far as I know. I did check some state laws. And why do you think it is because they wanted to give/share advice? That's not what they were talking about. They are talking about selling eggs. You can give/share advice all day long without a license of any kind.

You would feel differently if your child died from a case of salmonella contracted from eating some dope's poorly handled/processed "farm fresh eggs"

#75759 - 01/18/04 03:46 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Leee:
Cloverfarm, as I read the Indiana laws, it looks like you can sell eggs, without a license, only to people who come on your farm to buy them, and the transaction takes place there. ...
Yep. That's the plan.
Ann

#75760 - 01/18/04 04:52 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Leee, Is there a link that list the regulations by state. If so, I'd like to read it.

I like a variety of chickens and soon I plan to order, but I don't want to get stuck with an abundance of eggs if I can't legally sell them so I might have to cut back on the breeds I get.

I find myself in a "crunch" because while I am too the legal do it right kind of person, (family owned business) I can't see getting a license to sell 2 or 3 dozens of eggs a week. Yet, I don't want to pass on salmonella to anyone or better yet, even end up with it myself.

What do you do to help decrease the threat of salmonella in the eggs you sell. I'm under the impression there is no full proof way of making sure one of your hens does not have it. How do you handle them? If I remember correctly salmonella can be carried in the hen and passed to the eggs. From what I read just about all you can do is handle an egg carefully and minimize it's risk of having salmonella.

I'd appreciate your input.

Todd smile

#75761 - 01/18/04 06:18 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

For all you Texans:
From the Texas Department of Agriculture

Requirement

An egg license is required of a person who buys or sells eggs in the State of Texas for resale. Facilities where eggs are graded, stored, packed or processed must be licensed. Egg brokers must also be licensed by the Department.

I'm glad I checked. I never really thought about it since we're so small-scale. Since my family and friends won't be reselling them, I guess this "elderly farm woman" won't need to worry about getting turned in! wink
(Thanks, Lee, for busting our chops and making sure we're all legal. I mean that. Thank you. If we ever decide to try selling to retailers, we'll be sure and go through the correct licensing and possibly save ourselves some legal problems.---But now Cloverfarm deserves an apology. She wasn't lying and did obtain the information that applied to her---even on a Saturday. Right or wrong, you can still be nice!)

#75762 - 02/13/04 07:34 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what I have understand after talking to the Department of Ag, about selling eggs for here in GA, as long as you have less than 1,000 birds, and you are only selling out of your house you do not need a licence. I have been marking my eggs with the day they are collected, so that they know how fresh they are, I also check twice a day to gather the eggs. I have noticed that the people that are asking me about eggs, are people that are on the ATKINS DIET. I have been spreading the word that I have eggs, around my church and have already had about six people ask me, for any where from 6-12 eggs a week, good thing I am getting more hens tomorrow. I have am going to charge 1.00 a dozen and 50 cents for half dozen, which might explain why I have six people clamering for eggs.

#75763 - 02/15/04 10:23 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you George for sharing your story. I am glad to hear of your good experience.

I learned a lot from this thread - a lot more than I expected to - and I want to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts. I had no idea that it would stir up so much more than what a dozen farm-fresh eggs were worth! But it made me aware of things that I was not aware of before and that is a good thing. smile

#75764 - 02/15/04 02:14 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Bon Perez Offline
Chicken

Gingit,

I'm from So Calif. too. The amount of eggs I get so far satifies my family, for now. Have you contacted the USDA? What are Calif. regulations?

#75765 - 02/17/04 07:21 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey there all,
Just in case anyone in Oregon is interested, I checked the Oregon Dept of Ag and this is a quote from their website:

"Eggs
Eggs may be sold at market without an egg handler’s license and without labeling, but only by the farm that produces the eggs. All other eggs — even those produced by friends or relatives on neighboring farms — must come from licensed facilities and comply with labeling requirements. "

There is no limit on quantity, but I guess the assumption is that if you were a large operation, you wouldn't have the time to sell all your own eggs, and then you would be in violation if you didn't have licences.

Thank you Lee, though, for raising your objection to people selling without licences, because I have to admit that I didn't check before I started. It was just such a gradual evolution... I'm sure you all know how it goes, get a couple chickens and then you see a few more that you'd like to have and all of a sudden you have 50 and way too many eggs for your own family!

#75766 - 02/23/04 11:47 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Jenn Offline
Bantam

Loc: Florida
This message is for Leee, I think more people should do as you do and get the correct licenses, and such, but you seem to have a stick up your *** about the subject, I don't think you would need to report a person having fun and selling eggs to their family and friends, yes the woman at the market who set up a stand and wanted to make a business out of it of coarse she should have been reported, but try to clam down a bit about the subject. I mean no disrespect and apologize if I have offended any one with my statements.

#75767 - 03/09/04 10:09 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

So what would happen if you were to *give* friends/families/neighbors eggs and they were to *donate* a dollar or two for your trouble? Would you then be required to have a license?

#75768 - 03/10/04 04:52 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read this thread a while ago and I replied a while ago yet this is one of those rare threads that haunts me. I think of this thread almost every day.

I just can not shake the image of a poor farm lady being run off with her eggs. I am felling bad for the farm lady. What if the eggs she sold at the farmers market helped pay her electric, her phone, heating fuel, medicine, food, chickens? There are so many things that the lady may have used the money for. I feel it is a shame that she may have had to go without something because she was unable to sell a few dozen eggs.

Personally, if I had been at the market and witnessed the little old farm lady being run off, I would have purchased every carton of eggs she had (I support the underdog).

I just get a real sick feeling when I think of how that lady must have felt. In my minds eye I picture a wonderful lady who has spent her entire life farming. She has sold eggs all those years for extra spending money. Through the years she may have purchased scraps of fabric to make quilts. She may have saved her egg money to buy a little boy or girl a bike. She may have used the money from the sale of her eggs to buy the seeds and plants she needed for her vegetable garden or maybe she bought pretty flowers to plant along her walkway. There are so many different things she may have relied on that extra money for and then one day she was told that selling her eggs is against the law because she doesn't have paperwork saying she can sell her eggs.

To me, to approach the lady and worry her is a shame. It is almost like a piece of rural America was stolen from her and all others who may have purchased eggs from her. Even those of us who would never come in contact with the farm lady have had a bit more of rural America stolen from us. How sad!

Every time I think about this thread, my heart feels for the old farm lady.

Sorry, maybe now that I have said what has been on my mind from the beginning, I can stop worrying so much about the old farm lady.

George

#75769 - 03/10/04 08:35 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

George:

I am glad to see some people still look at the human factor. Is is right to sell eggs where the state clearly states a license or licenses are needed...no it isn't right. Do people do things without the knowledge that things need to be done in a certain fashion...yes, we all do, until we are educated to the facts.

That old lady might have been in need for money for practical things or she might have been using the money to get booze...we don't know. The fact that Leee was direct with her might seem hurtful or aggressive, but in reality getting arrested and put in jail or paying a large fine might have caused more harm. The court system and the law don't look at naiveness as an excuse.

I do wish to sell eggs, but don't plan to make it a livelihood. I will get the licenses I need more for safe reasons...like liability if someone gets ill and decides to sue me I will at least have all my chickens lined up...pun planned.

I am glad you raise orpingtons (buff). I wish to chat with you more later. As you know I too am raising orpingtons-buff, black, white standard. I am working on reintroducing the red standard orpington.

Well. Keep you positive outlook on life and your big heart. We need more people like you. Peace.

Mike smile

#75770 - 03/11/04 06:55 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Orpmike, that was the nicest reply. smile Well-put, and I agree completely.

George, I also was touched by your big heart and concern. Don't lose that outlook. smile I'm glad you shared you heartfelt feelings with us.

#75771 - 03/11/04 08:24 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, like many of you, I was a little haunted by this thread. Leee- you did come across a little strong. Even though your messege was well intended, you could have found a nicer way to bring it across to the other members of the board. If I had been at the farmers market when you ran off the little old lady, I too would have bought up all her eggs, even if I had to feed them to pigs or dogs, if for no other reason but to save her some dignity. I have been a law enforcement / criminal justice professional for over 23 years and I can honestly tell you that I would not have arrested the little old lady on that day. Sometimes you have to use discretion and weigh the intent of a persons actions vs. the exact wording of the law. She meant no harm and was probably ignorant of the licensing requirements. A friendly conversation telling her about the license would have gone further than being confrontational and protective about this subject.
I checked with the Michigan Department of Agriculture about this subject. It took a week before the poultry rep for my region called me back, but this is their official stance on farm eggs being sold:
Farmers and backyard flock owners may sell their eggs to anybody except retail establishments-i.e. grocery stores- without obtaining a license. You may post a "Eggs For Sale" out by the road and can sell them to co-workers, friends, neighbors and drive by's without a license. He said you should candle them so you don't sell eggs with blood spots, but that is not required. New cartons are not required for these sales either. There is also no limit on how many birds you may have, nor that the roosters be kept separate from the hens. But if you sell to stores for resale, a whole new set of rules come into play.
The Ag rep also said that after his first visit to a egg producing plant, he went out and got a few hens for his home. That should tell you something about the big "professional" egg plants that the general public gets their eggs from!

#75772 - 03/11/04 02:08 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Ratbird Offline
Flock Leader

We get about a dozen eggs a day. Much more than we can possibly eat. We give them away, barter or Koha. Koha is a gift, or a donation.

I sometime help out at a winery and our eggs go well down there and I come home with a bottle or 2 of wine. People visit and leave with a dozen eggs under their arm.

What I love about it is the pleasure in giving and knowing that we are educating people about battery hens and the obvious advantage to home grown eggs from *real* happy hens. And the eggs always are well received. It's amazing what a kick people get out of an assortment of giant brown eggs, a variety of white-tan eggs and tiny blue eggs.

In saying that, and knowing I never intend to sell eggs, I am itching to know the regulations for California.

It is not like most people intend on making their living off selling eggs. If it covers the cost of the chicken feed..... hey, live and let live.

#75773 - 03/11/04 05:58 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right on ratbird!Live and let live! Boy I love my seven girls and three boys.They bring me and my family such happiness.

#75774 - 03/11/04 06:54 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well.... it's been a long time since I looked at this thread.

I really don't have anything positive to add. Those of you who trivialize the issue are just wrong. Do you remember the kids that died from the E-coli. infections a few years ago? Only one of them ate at the Jack-in-the-Box that was responsible. The other kids went to a day care center where the day care workers didn't wash their hands after changing diapers before handling food for the other kids. They went straight from wiping butts to preparing lunch with no hand-washing. Children died in that episode. This is actually very common. One of those news programs (60 minutes, 20/20 or 48 hours) did a sting show about this. Although the day care told parents that they ALWAYS wash hands after butt-wiping, the hidden camera proved otherwise. This is rampant. I thank God my kids are out of day care now.

Eggs come from a hen's butt. They need to be handled and packaged properly. The way the gov't insures that is through licensing.

End of story.

And, yes, at least in my part of the country there are thousands and thousands of illegal egg packs on sale right now. Sold in dirty, used cartons, not properly washed and sanitized, improperly stored after collection and on and on.

#75775 - 03/11/04 08:33 PM Re: Selling Eggs
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Now boys, lets not get emotional here. The reason that so many folks get sick of Norwalk-like virus is this anal-oral link that is not broken by slobs not washing their hands......seems like the cruise ships aren't the only problem area as is the British Army in the Middle East. The fact is cleanliness IS next to Godliness!

#75776 - 03/11/04 10:13 PM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya know what Lee, I've heard enough. I don't think anyone here is trivializing - and no one here I have seen but YOU is selling eggs to commercial stores or restaurants - most who have written here are within their laws, having checked on them, as small backyard farmers selling and giving their eggs away to friends and relatives. YES, the people selling eggs alongside yours in stores that are not licensed are ILLEGAL. YES, it is a pisser. Yes, it obviously has you upset - as it would me. It is on their conscience and the store owners - they should not be doing it. Now just leave us backyard folks who legally sell a dozen here or there to friends and neighbors to cover the cost of feed ALONE. If people were getting sick and dying left and right from eating backyard farmer's eggs believe me we'd be hearing about it. But guess what, it isn't happening. Because I'm sure, even if you're not (and by the way the implication was insulting), that we are all washing our eggs and using good hygiene when we handle our eggs. (in fact I use even more care when handling eggs I know will go to a friend). (I also have little kids and taught preschool and as a result am in the habbit of washing my hands constantly - and will not handle food or put away clean dishes or anything without washing my hands first - as a result I have the driest hands in 4 counties but I know my food is clean!)

Just because you have to have a fancy license, and do, does not mean you are clean or know more about being clean than anyone else around here or give you the right to shove it down everyone's throats. Yes you've caught me on a bad day. I admire you for your intelligence and humor and have often followed threads in which you took part and enjoyed them, but I will not sit by and hear you be ridiculously close-minded, rude and disgusting without saying something. For someone who is so obviously intelligent I can't believe how irrational and completely foggy in the crumpet you get once on this subject! Get a life and leave us be!

What do you think folks, should I lock this one down? Or is there more that needs to be said?

#75777 - 03/12/04 05:44 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

'nuff said---- close it up!

#75778 - 03/12/04 06:01 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Gingit,

I think you'll find many, many previous discussions here about not washing eggs, where most say they agree not to do it and they encourage others not to as well.

I think Lee provoked some visual drama to make a point, however, I don't see how anybody can chastise him for that but leave the comment which follows his untouched. That was the only blatantly rude and horrible thing I have seen in this thread. To call Lee to the carpet and leave the other post without comment is improper, IMO.

Susie

#75779 - 03/12/04 07:14 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sorry if you feel it was improper of me not to chastise the comment that followed his. I was addressing him and by the time I was done I didn't feel like saying any more. They were both rude. Point taken. I don't think either was called for. I was completely shocked.

As for egg-washing, I have seen quite a few of the discussions about it and I think I understand the pros and cons. (I didn't think this was a discussion on whether or not to wash eggs.) I don't wash my own eggs that are for my personal use, but I do wash those that I give away and the 18 I sell to my friend. That is, from what I have observed, what many here do as well. The people I give them to use them all up within a week anyway.

#75780 - 03/12/04 08:06 AM Re: Selling Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing to ponder - many, many regulations have come into being for our health and safety: I don't think anyone would deny that. But How often do these regulations go TOO FAR, and take away our ability to have a life, not to mention cost the community a LOT of money in TRIVIAL enforcement, at times not even in the spirit it was meant. I too just about cried over that little old lady. Day after day i hear of stories where this happens. My husband works as a manager for local government here and is constantly gob smacked that so many have no common sense about how to implement laws. To paraphrase someone, regulations are there as a guide for the intelligent and law for the ididots. As has been said, a licence doesn't make anyone a cleaner person than one without, nor is a guarantee of such. Not having a licence does no automatically make one a filthy, bum wiping egg collector. How about some common sense and most of all HUMANITY and charity.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn