Topic Options
#75836 - 09/07/06 09:13 AM first eggs, 5 of them, now none???
Chicken Mania Offline
Bantam

Loc: Oregon
I have a buff orpington who is 4 1/2 mo old and started laying last week. She layed every other day for 5 eggs but now it has been 4 days, no eggs. Every egg was layed in the nest and I've searched all around the coop and chicken run and I'm not seeing any other eggs. Are chickens inconsistant at the beginning or what? The other possibility is I let them free range late in the afternoon 3-4 times a week for a few hours.

The other question I have: isn't 18 weeks a little early? I didn't think orpingtons were early maturing. I'm pretty sure it is her since she is the oldest and i checked her vent compaired to others and it isn't as yellow.

#75837 - 09/07/06 11:58 AM Re: first eggs, 5 of them, now none???
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Yes, it's normal for things to be inconsistent in the beginning. She could also be trying to pass a larger or soft-shelled egg. OR she might have laid it outside and successfully hidden it from you. Anything is possible. If she's locked up until afternoon, it's not as likely she's laying out there. She's probably just taking a little time to get in the routine. It's not really too different from people reaching puberty. Sometimes there's a few kinks to work out before things get all regular. wink

#75838 - 09/07/06 12:54 PM Re: first eggs, 5 of them, now none???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi .. Reading about the vent check you did ? Does the vent really turn a different colour ? I also have a Buff Orp and i think she is about 20 weeks old as i got her at an auction so age is unknown really though she was sold as a pullet . Her head furnishings are deff going redder so should i also check the colour of her vent ? What other signs will there be when my pullets are about to begin laying and as its Sept in England and just going into Autumn will they still lay ? Thanks

#75839 - 09/07/06 03:56 PM Re: first eggs, 5 of them, now none???
Chicken Mania Offline
Bantam

Countrywench,
there is a progressive "bleaching" of the areas of the body when they start laying eggs. The reason is because the color is being placed into the yolks, I think. After a few days the vent turns pale and is flexible (didn't check). That happens within a few days. Then the eye ring, then the earlobe (3-4 weeks of laying) then the beak (6 months) the bottoms of feet then shanks (2-5 months). This is one way you can tell which chicken is laying and how long they are laying.

Anyone? How early should buff orpingtons lay? is 17-18 weeks a little early?

#75840 - 09/07/06 04:04 PM Re: first eggs, 5 of them, now none???
Chicken Mania Offline
Bantam

I forgot to tell you, I just checked and yes, another egg! Yeah!

#75841 - 09/07/06 04:35 PM Re: first eggs, 5 of them, now none???
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Pullets have a change of voice from a baby talk, to a singing--kwa,kwa,kwa sort of sound, just a few weeks before the first egg. CJR

#75842 - 09/18/06 08:16 PM Re: first eggs, 5 of them, now none???
Chicken Mania Offline
Bantam

I expected the eggs to slowly increase in size but yesterday I got one that was very large, like the extra large ones in the grocery store.

Then today it was back to the peewee size. Could this be a different hen or does size change like that overnight? The only known laying hen did skip the day before but that shouldn't be the reason, right?

#75843 - 09/18/06 09:39 PM Re: first eggs, 5 of them, now none???
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Not to worry, It takes some of the young things a while for their systems to get into a rhythm, and then they will lay pretty consistantly for a while. Nothing to worry about. CJR

#75844 - 09/19/06 05:19 PM Re: first eggs, 5 of them, now none???
Chicken Mania Offline
Bantam

Update!!! I decided to eat it and it was a double yolker! How cool is that that her 8th egg was a double yolker! Poor girl!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 81 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box