Topic Options
#75859 - 02/16/04 07:51 PM Young rooster claw removal
BMW Offline
Feather

Loc: Oregon
Well my chickens are all getting big and are now about 6 weeks old. They are very happy and healthy and I love them more and more. I have kept one rooster for 8 hens but his days may be numbered. I read somewhere that if you cut off that claw, whatever it is called, at the right age that it will not regrow. The only chance this rooster has of staying with my family is if that scary claw is removed and he can't harm my young children in that way. Can anyone help with how and when to do this? Many thanks confused

#75860 - 02/16/04 07:55 PM Re: Young rooster claw removal
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
BMW, are you referring to the rooster's spurs that grow from the side of each leg?

Rhea Dean

#75861 - 02/16/04 08:10 PM Re: Young rooster claw removal
BMW Offline
Feather

Yes, the spurs. Is that what they are officially called? They grow out of the leg above the feet and get nasty, long and sharp. Any advice?

#75862 - 02/16/04 08:51 PM Re: Young rooster claw removal
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
I have never heard of the spurs being surgically removed, however, they are trimmed up regularly to prevent injury, to the hens as much as each other or humans.
It is prudent to always be wary of a rooster, of almost any age past a few months old, to be around children unsupervised. If the children are raised with the chicks and are kind to them and care for them well, most fowl will be kind back. There are exceptions, most of them can be reprimanded once and learn their lesson, the rest
are usually put in the stew pot, to coin a phrase, as unsafe and untrustworthy. I, personally, have at least 10 roosters and NONE of them are obnoxious in any way except at each other, occasionally. I love my roos more than anything and would keep them first, over and above most of my hens.
Good Luck in your choices,
Sally

#75863 - 02/17/04 08:58 AM Re: Young rooster claw removal
BMW Offline
Feather

Thanks Sally,
I like the idea of keeping a rooster but have the usual concerns. Too much crowing and he'll have to go too as my neighbors are friends and I don't wish to torment them. How do you trim the spur? How close?

#75864 - 02/17/04 04:03 PM Re: Young rooster claw removal
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
My roosters didnt start to grow their spurs until they were i think about 5 months. Now at 9 months almost they arent completely grown in yet. One roo has rounded tips, soon to be a full spur, the other is alittle behind. You have plently of time to see if he is aggressive or not. My big Red isnt agressive toward me, so i am going to trim his spur for my girls. chuck ont he other hand is nasty to me, his spurs are being cut for me and the girls. To cut the nails use a dremmel tool. It "sands" the spur down. If you cut it too short and he begins to bleed put a dab of cornstrach on it. You will have to trim the spur every few months or so to keep it blunt because it does regrow. I have heard about surgery to have the spur removed how ever it can be risky because the spur is growing out of the leg bone.

Here is the link that i read this at:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0014.html

#75865 - 02/17/04 06:09 PM Re: Young rooster claw removal
BMW Offline
Feather

Good tips Lacey, thank you. My sole rooster, a white leghorn I kept after having to kill all the other "extra" males shipped for warmth, now has only a nub for a spur. It is fascinating to watch him jockeying with all the hens. Even though they are all only 6-7 weeks old, there is a clear pecking order. My two Buff Orpingtons rule the roost so far. The two Black Australorps take grief from no one, including the rooster. the RIR's are happy go lucky. My sole Barred Rock is almost passive to the point of subservience, dotes on the male.

The rooster is startting to have shoving matches with the Buffs, and he loses. Wonder how this will go when his gonads are in full swing?

The web site was very useful and a nice thing to read, thanks. I will determine if he is a keeper or not by the 6-9 month time and take it from there.

I have actually wondered, being a biologist by training, whether the leghorns are so overbred due to popularity that they are genetically weak and the males may be more prone to antisocial behavior. If no one has selected for nice males in a long time then genes will wander...Part of my attraction to the older varieties of chickens is the same as my attraction to heirloom varieties of vegetables: genetic diversity, health and supporting smaller scale businesses.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, and from all over the world! I get such a kick out of the fact we all communicate despite millions of footsteps of distance between us. Nothing like our great grandparents world. smile

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn