Topic Options
#75896 - 07/16/03 11:52 AM To bleach or not to bleach?? HELP!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im showing a few birds in the local fair the end of this month but one of my roosters has mud stains in his tail! Ive washed them time and time again, but it is still an off-white, almost khaki color. HOW do I get them pure white again?! I was told to mix 1 part bleach with 5 parts water and wash his tail in it a few times, but can anyone back up this recipe or give me another? I do NOT want the bleach to eat away his feathers, he is my top bird but the rain we had a week ago was too much for a long tailed bantam. Any help is appreciated!!

#75897 - 07/16/03 12:27 PM Re: To bleach or not to bleach?? HELP!
Anonymous
Unregistered

White birds can be complicated to show. About a month before the shows, I'd select the birds I wanted to take and I'd put them in a house by themselves. Now, I can't rightly recommend bleaching the feathers. Technically you aren't supposed to do anything to change the colour of your birds' feathers. Plucking, bleaching, and colouring could get a bird disqualified if the judges found out about it. Basically what I'd do is keep the bird off the ground and out of the rain. Try soaking its feathers in a tub of luke warm water with ivory soap. When my white birds get a dirty tail feather or two, I've been known to (very!) carefully rub the feather with a soft and soapy toothbrush in the direction of the feathers. You'll get a scraggly looking bird if you brush against the feathers. Bleach can inflame the skin of your bird if you aren't careful, and yes, it could ruin the feathers. If your bird is in extremely poor condition, you might want to consider leaving him out of the show this time and clean him up early next time. The judges probably aren't going to dock you too many points if your bird isn't spotless. The type matters just as much as the colour, and as long as they see you've made an effort to clean him up and he's a healthy bird, you should be alright. Don't expect less than perfect condition to take the best in show, but hey. He might do just fine. Good luck at the show. smile

- Jonnieann

If all else fails, you could try a mix of vinegar and baking soda. That lifts dirt right out of things. Just don't get it near your bird's face and be sure to wash it out really well afterwards. That would be a better alternative as opposed to the bleach, if you must.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonah:
Im showing a few birds in the local fair the end of this month but one of my roosters has mud stains in his tail! Ive washed them time and time again, but it is still an off-white, almost khaki color. HOW do I get them pure white again?! I was told to mix 1 part bleach with 5 parts water and wash his tail in it a few times, but can anyone back up this recipe or give me another? I do NOT want the bleach to eat away his feathers, he is my top bird but the rain we had a week ago was too much for a long tailed bantam. Any help is appreciated!!

#75898 - 07/16/03 12:44 PM Re: To bleach or not to bleach?? HELP!
Anonymous
Unregistered

If he is an all white bird, you can use bluing to "bleach" the feathers. You want to use only a few drops, like one or two. If you use too much, then you can dye your bird blue or a gray color.

#75899 - 07/16/03 06:23 PM Re: To bleach or not to bleach?? HELP!
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
There are shampoos for the white manes and tails and white fetlocks and legs, for horse shows and also shampoos for dogs with white feet for dog shows. They get some real stains! These products might help reduce stains. But as suggested "next year" get your show birds separated well ahead of time--(might have to get several more ready than you will actually show), as a lost tail feather can be more important than a minor stain on white feathers! Good luck, and do the best you can. CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn