Topic Options
#7588 - 04/29/03 07:55 PM Chics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last week one of my Barred Rocks went broody. I saved up some eggs like you guys told me to do and put them under her on Friday (12, probably too many, but I have to learn some things on my own). I put her in the barn in a covered cat litter box to do her thing away from the rest of the flock (more info from the Coop). Sometime around the 16th, I should have chics.

They'll mostly be mutts, but I'm not ready to do the selective breeding thing yet. Maybe in another 3-5 years I'll have the time to devote to that, but for now I'm just enjoying the chickens. You know, visual entertainment, eggs, fresh meat, etc.

This should be fun (and another first for me). Her dedication to the task is truly amazing-and she is grumpy as hell about being disturbed. Funny thing: While she was still in the coop laying boxes that the other chickens had access to, they preferred the box that she was setting in to lay their eggs. This despite her being so touchy. Sounds like an instinct thing-lay the eggs where somebody is going to care for them.

A question here. When, and how should I re-introduce her, and her chics, to the flock??? Should I put her back into the Coop shortly before the eggs hatch (in the litter box), or put her and her babies in sometime later.

#7589 - 04/29/03 10:11 PM Re: Chics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Although many mommy hens are the best of mommies, it is hard for them to protect several babies from other hens who may savage and kill the chicks. Hens will and do kill other hen's chicks. eek

I would definately keep the mother and young away from the flock for a few weeks. Depending on the chicks and what their size is you will need to kind of gauge their growth and development. When they seem better able to avoid danger, you might put them and their mother in a cage (with food and water) in the coop with the other hens, slowly reintroducing them to the flock. I have found the slow approach best when introducing all new birds. wink Better to take the time and save the heartache of loosing a bird.

#7590 - 04/29/03 10:21 PM Re: Chics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the input Henny.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn