Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#75910 - 01/07/05 08:58 PM Re: abandoned egg?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Good lord-- is right--there was no baby. You do not need to save eggs at all for a week or more!!
And please remember that a rare predator IS a predator, rare or not--can rob you of your joy and pleasure in a second during the day time, and has free reign at night! So be prepared to protect your Chick. Incubating eggs are especially attractive to some predators, even more than the hen herself--but she is also very vulnerable when she is setting. You must plan for this! Take warning and do not allow a tragedy to enter your life! Free range birds have a limited life span as a rule! CJR

#75911 - 01/08/05 07:02 AM Re: abandoned egg?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks CJR. I have been doing a lot of thinking, thanks to this site and all of you. I have decided that a chicken condo is in order. I have plenty of ground space for one, and like you said, I'd be devastated if Chick or Noodle were taken by tragedy. They are sweet little things, and I love them enough to do exactly as you all have said. I really appreciate your inputs. I was so stump stupid on chicken rearing until I was fortunate enough to find this site.

#75912 - 01/09/05 05:41 AM Re: abandoned egg?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, just as you all said, yesterday I got my second egg. What I had done was put a store bought egg in her newly made nesting box. (Thanks for the suggestion of a moveable nester.) She came when she was ready to lay her second one. I brought her newbie egg in the house and have it dated and saved. If per chance she goes broody, I'll have a few to let her hatch by then. Other than that, I'll have plenty for eating, etc. I now have a secured area that they will be safe. I am sure they won't at first appreciate being put in there at night, but they'll adjust and eventually go into it on their own at dusk so I can secure them. They are very smart animals, lol. When "Chick" goes broody, she'll be safe and very secure now. You all have been so helpful, and I truly appreciate all the input. I'll keep updates for you all as they happen. You're all so sweet to help me out this way!!! cool

#75913 - 01/09/05 01:22 PM Re: abandoned egg?
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Harleydeby,

You said you have the birds in a secured area. I hope this means a place that is completely enclosed. Raccoons can get into just about anything. I have had racoons pull a bird through welded wire fencing and eat the head and neck of the chicken. I keep my birds in houses that are completely enclosed with wood. I close the doors at night. I have also had dogs kill my birds during the day. They almost busted in my fencing and got to my birds. They killed two of my birds that flew over the fence. Make sure your night housing is raccoon proof. I trapped and removed 5 raccoons. I am constantly looking for raccoon signs around my houses.

tadkerson

#75914 - 01/09/05 02:44 PM Re: abandoned egg?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you Tadkerson for your reply. I do indeed live in an area where we have many predators. I am zoned agricultural, yet we have nearby "civilization", lol. I didn't consider a coon being able to pull a chicks head through the fencing! You have a very valid point, and I can surely see that happening! Ugh! I have a large fenced in yard (chain link) but I now realize that in itself isn't going to protect my babies. I have been lucky that I haven't lost them yet due to my ignorance of wildlife behavior. Until I found this site, I was brainlessly letting them roam all day, while at night they roosted in a tree under my front porch. Now I'm reconsidering the housing that I just made for them yesterday! To date, the only bothersom critters I have had is a neighbors cat, who rather abruptly left without a large patch of his fur, and an ignorant armadillo who has chosen to borough under my house for the last year, lol. I believe I'm going to call up some favors and have help building a real, wooden walled, honest to gosh coop. I also don't believe that what I supplied Chick and Noodle with yesterday may be far enough off the ground now. I really don't have plans to have that many chickens at one time, and butchering them due to old age or lack of eggs will not be an option. They can happily live out their lives here with no human carnivores to worry about, hehe. I am also happy with just my one roo, Noodle, for now. But I am seeing a sure fire need for more adaquate housing, thanks to this site! I go rather bonkers over the loss of a pet, and I don't intend to let this newfound knowledge go to waste, only to mourn another loss in the near future! You people are the greatest! :p

#75915 - 01/09/05 05:00 PM Re: abandoned egg?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Okay, You have heard what a raccoon can do--how about chainlink that will let snakes and weasles enter??? Hawks from the top?--honestly you will hear sad stories on this website from every possible "accident" that no one saw coming. Experience may be the best teacher, but some things are better learned from good experiences--not the tragic ones---so good luck to you and the birds! CJR

#75916 - 01/09/05 05:15 PM Re: abandoned egg?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am realizing that I'm EXTREMELY lucky that a hungry outsider hasn't taken one of them yet. I have scoured this whole site for days now, and I'm astonished at the things I've been able to learn, and at the sad stories that indeed have occured. I'm taking heed, and I'm still learning. Thanks again!

#75917 - 01/25/05 09:34 AM Re: abandoned egg?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Update on my babies:

#75918 - 01/25/05 09:50 AM Re: abandoned egg?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, got knocked off line there, but the update is great news! "Chick" has laid 14 eggs in the 18 that she's been laying. What a trooper. I have been hoarding the freshest ones in case she gets to feeling "motherly". I acquired a new pullet from Sally Wheeler, a Blue Silkie, and she is doing well and should be laying any day now. One thing that I discovered is that those plastic Easter Eggs are great for training. To start them out in their new protective housing, I put one in each of their nesting boxes, and they have instinctively gone back to their own nest every day/night since. Chick is a RIR, Biscuit is the Silkie. So Chick got a yellow one, Biscuit got a blue. (Closest to their natural egg color that I could manage.) But it's worked out wonderfully! Noodle should be a very proud papa once one of them go broody, lol. Thanks again for all your help online. I doubt I'd have gotten this far with you all!! Nope, I KNOW I'd not have gotten this far, lol.

#75919 - 01/30/05 08:59 AM Re: abandoned egg?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Harleydeby,
I have just 6 hens and an easy option for me for predator proof nighttime housing was to buy a 4x3x3 plastic Rubbermaid horizontal storage shed. I built roosts in it and put it up on a few mortar blocks in a 7x11 chain link dog kennel I built a roof on and reinforced around the base to prevent predators tunneling in. They spend most of their time quite happily in the kennel and range the yard while my dog or I watch for an hour or two each day. At dusk they hop into the shed and roost and shortly after I switch the lock from the kennel door to the shed and there they are all snug and safe.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn