Topic Options
#75960 - 11/27/06 04:14 PM Does mating mean eggs??
Chickeecheek Offline
Bantam

Loc: Tennessee
I've seen my chickens mating alot over the past few weeks (much to the hens' annoyance). Does this have anything to do with egg-laying or will it make my hens start laying eggs? My chickens are almost 5 months old and haven't started laying yet. I'm not sure if they're at the egg-laying age yet. I really would like to get some eggs soon.

#75961 - 11/27/06 04:30 PM Re: Does mating mean eggs??
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It only means that the cockerels are coming of age, not the pullets. They might lay a little earlier, if they were not harrassed. AT this time of year, (late pullets), it might be another month before you get eggs. Listen for them to "sing" a different voice. That is a better indication that eggs will be along in a few weeks. They will lay when they are mature! CJR

#75962 - 11/28/06 06:49 AM Re: Does mating mean eggs??
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I hope you get eggs soon!

My mid-June brood of about 65 pullets, started laying at the end of October - just a few of them. It's impossible for me to tell for sure how many are laying now, but I'm getting over a dozen little pullet eggs per day. Given that they don't lay every day right off the bat, I'm going to assume at least a couple of dozen of them have reached maturity. I see some bright red combs and some not. And it's not all about breed either. I know for sure two out of my five Light Brahmas are laying. I know one of two Dominiques is laying. I've seen one of the 5 Buff Orpingtons in the nest and one other with a red comb, so she's probably there already, or close. Soon, I'll have eggs up to my eyeballs, and so will you. Keep checking and don't just check the nests. A lot of times they'll find a dark corner somewhere to do their thing, or drop an egg from the roost because they don't quite understand it all just yet.

Good luck!

#75963 - 11/28/06 11:07 AM Re: Does mating mean eggs??
Hennie Mavis Offline
Chicken

Loc: New Hampshire
And, Chickeecheek, when your Jap Bants do lay, be prepared to be underwhelmed :rolleyes:
Pullet eggs tend to be smaller than average in the first place, as do bantam eggs, so the double-whammy smallness in a bantam pullet egg is about the cutest little egg you'd ever want to see. My banty Japanese Fantail is not much bigger than a pigeon -- everyone always coos over her tiny eggs. Enjoy the anticipation! First eggs are always a welcome delight.

#75964 - 12/21/06 11:53 AM Re: Does mating mean eggs??
Chickeecheek Offline
Bantam

Thank you!

#75965 - 12/21/06 11:59 AM Re: Does mating mean eggs??
Chickeecheek Offline
Bantam

I look forward to tiny eggs!
One of my 2 Araucana hens -Samantha- is laying little green-blue eggs now! But they seem pretty normal-sized for an Araucana bantam. Do all chickens start out with small eggs?

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn