Topic Options
#76172 - 06/02/03 08:14 PM Feeding fruits and vegetables
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was reading on the board and saw about feeding grass clippings but what about vegetable scraps or fruit scraps (potato and apple peelings)? Also in my last post I said 2 Barring Rock hens - but is actually Barred Rock. confused

#76173 - 06/03/03 03:49 AM Re: Feeding fruits and vegetables
Anonymous
Unregistered

They love grass clippings and leafy like vegtables like lettuce and spinach. I have heard that they like potato pealings as well.

#76174 - 06/03/03 04:34 AM Re: Feeding fruits and vegetables
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Your Barred Rocks will love all sorts of fruit and vegetable scraps. Mine are very fond of tomatoes, *cooked* carrots (I buy these by the case in winter and pull out a can a couple of times a week), pods from my fresh peas I'm picking, lettuce, apples....gosh, just about everything I guess. But they do have individual tastes so you'll have to experiment to see what they like. I don't think I have any that will reject tomatoes though. smile

Susie

#76175 - 06/03/03 06:54 AM Re: Feeding fruits and vegetables
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine get VERY excited about tomatoes! They also love strawberries and watermellon!! They don't seem to get too excited about vegetables though.

#76176 - 06/03/03 08:27 AM Re: Feeding fruits and vegetables
Anonymous
Unregistered

nota bene=once you feed the birds vegetables- dont expect them to be able to free range near a garden

#76177 - 06/18/03 01:11 PM Re: Feeding fruits and vegetables
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering this, guess I'll have to give my ROO a little watermelon tonight :p

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn