Topic Options
#76221 - 09/08/05 07:04 PM rooster is a wimp
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have four pullets about 6 months old. Two have just started laying eggs. We recently (a few weeks to a month ago) acquired a rooster. We plan to hatch chicks next spring to raise for meat and a friend had this rooster available so we took him in while we had the chance. He is a silky bantam/barred rock cross and he is a major wimp. The girls will now tolerate him being near them but will chase him if he gets too close. A couple of times he went into their house to sleep for the night so I left him in there and they've even all sat on the roost together but in the morning when they go out into the pen the peck the crap out of him and he just sticks his head in the corner and cowers. Will he stay like this or when he matures will he get better??

#76222 - 09/08/05 07:36 PM Re: rooster is a wimp
David T. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
How old is the rooster? He will (almost certainly) improve with age. We had to give away a young Silkie rooster when he started to crow. A friend had recently lost his rooster and was looking for a new one, so that was easy. When he arrived he was the second smallest, youngest and bottom of the pecking order. Three months later he was the rooster and that was that. My friend said he was so small that he fell off the hens when mating but he still tired. A couple of months and you/he will be fine.

David.

#76223 - 09/08/05 08:15 PM Re: rooster is a wimp
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with David. your Rooster isn't a whimp he is just at the bottom of the pecking order right now. not to mention the stress of being in all new Surroundings with a totally new flock.

#76224 - 09/10/05 05:18 PM Re: rooster is a wimp
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hens are not accepting. If you just threw them together with out introductions that could cause friction. I wouldnt let him with them because they could kill him...Like the others said, if he is young he wont feel as confident with the ladies. Slowly let them be together until they stop picking on him all the time. Also perhaps giving him 1 on 1 time with 1 hen at a time will help...

#76225 - 09/12/05 03:54 PM Re: rooster is a wimp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for your responses. The introduction has been very slow. He has his own little house and run that shares a fence with the girls so they are able to see each other ghrough the fence. They do run around the yard together even laying next to each other under a bush but when he goes into their pen (which he does all on his own) that's when they pick on him. Although they have all slept on the roost togther. I just feel so bad for him. He sticks his head in a hole in the corner of the pen and just cowers. Poor guy! Well, I'll just give hime some time. He's about 3 months old and they are 6 months old.
Thanks again!

#76226 - 09/12/05 05:01 PM Re: rooster is a wimp
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thats the problem then Chloe, he is too young, isnt even thinking about being a rooster and doing what roosters do. I think everything will be just fine when he hits 6 months or so.

#76227 - 09/12/05 09:15 PM Re: rooster is a wimp
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Lacey.

the problem is the age Difference. the Hens are picking on him because of his young age. and the cockerel isn't mature enough yet to fight his way up to the top of the pecking order. once he matures and grows you will see a big Difference between the two sexes.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn