Topic Options
#76262 - 11/09/03 02:40 PM Would a goose be the answer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have heard all about the guard "dog" qualaties of geese. If I got a goose would it be able to live with my hens (in the same coop and same free range area), stand up to my dogs and protect them all do you think?

#76263 - 11/09/03 05:54 PM Re: Would a goose be the answer?
Oakie Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Oklahoma
I had a White Chinese goose and she was a great guard goose. She free ranged with my chickens and kind of bossed them around, but otherwise she was fine. I did have to sell her though because she kept attacking my little girl.

#76264 - 11/09/03 06:13 PM Re: Would a goose be the answer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have two geese (male and female) that have not been very friendly to my chickens. Also, they can make alot of noise to warn you of predators, but cannot do alot to thwart dogs. Mine do attack my children but I pen them up when my kids are out. My geese have attacked my chickens when they got in with them but they were not raised with them. My dogs were raised with chickens and do great predator control. :p

#76265 - 11/10/03 11:28 AM Re: Would a goose be the answer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

perhaps if I get a young goose and it is raised with the hens it might defer to them but be agressive enough to at least make the dogs think twice about breaking in

#76266 - 11/10/03 03:23 PM Re: Would a goose be the answer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have one female african goose. She is excellent about keeping the dogs away from the chickens. She is very protective of them. My dogs don't even care about the chickens, but she doesn't care if they do or not. She also isn't very noisey, except at night when she is ready to put up at night (She makes my carry her to the coop despite the fact the door is open :rolleyes: .). The only problem I have with her is sometimes she pulls on (not out) the chickens feathers. Don't rely on a goose for protection though. Make sure your coop and pen are secure too.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn