Topic Options
#76504 - 07/17/04 05:59 AM Who is the Cornish in Rock Cornish ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm curious about the name Cornish in the breeds name.My grandmother's familly are the Cornish Familly .They had several poultry breeders in the familly,and my cousin has recently told me that our grandmother told him years ago that her familly devolped the breed.I guess I'm looking for a name date and location of the namer of the breed.Myself ,I've got my doubts it's more a familly yarn than a reality.
Don

#76505 - 07/17/04 08:33 AM Re: Who is the Cornish in Rock Cornish ?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Try a little internet research on the breed.
Are you referring to the Cornish breed or the cornishxrock hybrid?

#76506 - 07/17/04 08:48 AM Re: Who is the Cornish in Rock Cornish ?
Kirstine Offline
Feather

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Don

I'm not sure whether this link will work but try

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html

If this is the correct breed then the name probably comes from its origins in Cornwall, England. Your family name probably does, too! Chickens often seem to be named after their place of origin - Orpington must seem a very strange name to anyone who doesn't know there is a place by that name (in Kent, England) and I have always assumed that Rhode Island is overrun with chickens!

Sorry about the family story but hope this helps

Kirstine

#76507 - 07/17/04 10:02 AM Re: Who is the Cornish in Rock Cornish ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The breed we know as Cornish was originally developed in Cornwall, England many years ago. Everywhere in the world, except in North America, the breed is known as Indian Game . The book "Understanding Indian Game and Cornish Fowl" states that Indian Games were first introduced into the U.S. in 1887 and were included, as Cornish, in the Standard of Perfection in 1893 followed in 1909 by White Laced Red Cornish.
There is no name given for the person who first brought them to N.A.
Articles on the origin may be available through the International Cornish Breeders Association, here is the link: http://www.inter.cornish.org/

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn