Topic Options
#76508 - 02/17/04 06:00 PM Finding the best homes for chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 22 chickens.. of which 6 are 10wks old (approx).. not near my calendar right now...
in that amount I have 8 roosters.. 5 are pure bred ... I am keeping 2. What is the best way to find them good homes?
They are fighting horribly now and their combs look rough... bloody feathers too...

Also, I will soon be getting 100 eggs to hatch out... I am only interested in keeping a few of those - so I will need to find them homes too.
The 100 eggs are mixed breeds from someone I know.

Suggestions welcome (yep... need the suggestions.. smile )

#76509 - 02/17/04 06:19 PM Re: Finding the best homes for chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I want to get rid of my roosters I usually post a free ad in the paper, or if they're purebreds I put them under the poultry/pet section of the newspaper. Sometimes if you know others who own chickens they might want a few roosters. However, it is much more difficult to get rid of boys who you want to stay as pets, where sometimes buyers have ideas to make meals out of them. I've gotten rid of somewhere around 20 males in the past year or so, and I haven't even thought twice about selling them, since they were mean to each other and me! Also, if your area has poultry auctions, that's a good way to get rid of some. Sometimes posting an add online, even on this web site, can get your results. Why are you getting so many eggs and only keeping a few babies? What kind are they? Hope this helps!

#76510 - 02/17/04 09:38 PM Re: Finding the best homes for chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well when I say a few, i mean probably about 15.... hens... so they will be here for a while till I figure out what they are. smile

Why so many? because the friend has a lot and doesn't want them... so I figure, hey.. why not?

Want some?

#76511 - 02/17/04 10:55 PM Re: Finding the best homes for chickens
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
what part of georgia are you in? Are you near Rentz? If so I may be able to hook you up with someone that goes to a local auction there.
Sally

#76512 - 02/19/04 12:38 PM Re: Finding the best homes for chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm in SW Indiana and there is an Amish auction every Friday about an hour N of me. You can sell just about anyting from livestock to produce. Try and find a country auction. My husband thinks I am addicted, but I just like to watch what kind of poultry there might be. Have seen some weird ones. The prices range from 25 cents each for week old chicks to $5-8 for full grown chooks. Turkeys go from $15-25 a piece. I have 33 turkey eggs (RP & Bourbon) in the incubator right now and plan on selling them "if" they hatch.
Squawk

#76513 - 02/22/04 04:24 PM Re: Finding the best homes for chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, I am very close to Rentz.. about 20 mins.
They have an auction in Sandersville too, but they only go for about 1 or 2 dollars.. It is a rare thing to have them go for more than 5 dollars... heck, quail for for about 15 dollars for 100... if that tells you anything...
~Amy

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn