Topic Options
#76638 - 04/19/05 07:14 PM Need advice with crop impaction and...
Anonymous
Unregistered

baby can't stand up. Chick is approx 4 wks old. Is otherwise fat and healthy. I noticed the chick not standing and thought straddle leg because it will put both legs out to one side, but not the typical splits with a leg on both sides, but after examination, I found an impacted (VERY hard and swollen) crop. Would an impacted crop keep a chick from being able to stand properly? It will put some weight on both legs when I support it. I am a first time chicken Mom and am at a loss. I treated the chick with oil and massage this evening. Yes, culling is in the back of my mind, but not after I give this little bird a fighting chance. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for this site!!

#76639 - 04/20/05 09:43 AM Re: Need advice with crop impaction and...
Greta S. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: California
Hmmm...
Have you tried putting the aforesaid on a broad-spectrum antibiotic? It could be more of an infection type of thing, rather than impacted crop. Try the antibiotic for a few days, and if that doesn't work, than it probably is an impacted crop, and you will need to do surgery to free the blockage or your little guy will slowly waste away (it's really hard to see frown ). I have never performed the operation, but I believe the way it's done is: make a slit as small as you can get away with in the skin where the crop is, then find the crop and make a slit in that, too. Use your finger to find the offending material and scoop it out, making sure you don't get any between the skin and crop, as it will ferment and cause trouble. I've heard that you don't have to suture the wound, but just keep it clean and isolate the subject until it heals. You might try posting in EMERGENCY ROOM for better intructions RE crop surgery. Good Luck!! smile

#76640 - 04/20/05 09:56 AM Re: Need advice with crop impaction and...
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
What bedding do you have your chicks on? If a chick eats lots of shavings, the crop can become impacted. If they are on shavings and have baby grit, there is still a chance for the crop to become impacted, but less chance, and the baby grit will keep the shavings moving through the little system without plugging. Is the chick eliminating poop? If the crop is impacted, there may be nothing going on through for digestion. I would never give antibiotics myself, without knowing for sure it is needed, as it interferes with the natural immune system when a chick needs it most. These things happen and I hope you can work it out! CJR

#76641 - 04/20/05 01:04 PM Re: Need advice with crop impaction and...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks so much for the replies! My chicks are on shavings and wire. Is there a preferred bedding? This particular chick is isolated in another cage and on a towel as I was worried it was the shavings too. Today it seems to be doing better. I made hobbles for it, even though this chick is probably too big for it to be successful. I did see it rock forward, flapping it's wings, up onto it's feet to get food and water, which it never does on it's own. It usually lays with legs out to the side or on it's hocks (sorry for the equine terminology!). It was nice to see it do that, makes me feel like there is still a chance. I go out every hour to help it eat and drink. So, if there are shavings in the crop, will they pass or no? I was amazed at how quickly the crop went down after treatment but I can still feel stuff in there but it isn't hard like before and no foul smell at all. Thank you again.

#76642 - 04/20/05 01:06 PM Re: Need advice with crop impaction and...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forgot to add that this chick is passing manure, albeit probably not the quantity of a normal chick. The consistancy is good too.

#76643 - 04/20/05 01:32 PM Re: Need advice with crop impaction and...
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You have done what is best and now can wait-hope for the continued improvement. CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn