Topic Options
#76644 - 11/27/03 02:15 PM WORSE on GARDENS: Bantams, or Large Chooks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi. My mum (yes, I'm only a teenager living at home) disagrees with us buying large breeds and insists on getting bantams because 'they don't wreck the garden as much' - in other words they are smaller and weaker and do less damage by digging etc than a larger breed would. Is this true, or are all chooks destructive no matter what size or breed. Help - I am supposed to be buying day-old chicks in a couple of days - Are Australian Wellsummers good layers? or are Bantam Anconas sufficient for egg production?

Thanks.
Beretta confused confused confused

#76645 - 11/27/03 05:09 PM Re: WORSE on GARDENS: Bantams, or Large Chooks
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Mum,s right. Bantams can do their fair share of damage too tho. Big chooks are just bigger. About any breed will keep the normal/average family in eggs. I would have to say, in my experience, silkies do the least damage from scratching and when they arent broody lay well enuff.

#76646 - 11/27/03 08:31 PM Re: WORSE on GARDENS: Bantams, or Large Chooks
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
When my Bantams had the run of the yard and garden, they did little damage. They did have several favorite plants, however, Impatiens was one, and they ate the buds. Otherwise their scratching was not really damaging. Large birds did major digging holes in flower borders, they had to be fenced from the beginning! None of the bantams were ever allowed in the fenced vegetable garden until after the first frost! Now, for their own protection from hawks and stray dogs, they do not get to out to grace my lawn and gardens. I am sorry for that, but they are too precious to risk! CJR

#76647 - 11/29/03 09:40 AM Re: WORSE on GARDENS: Bantams, or Large Chooks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that the bantams would do less damage. Mine never went into the garden but my full size hens did and made a mess. They would jump up and peck out the bottoms of all of my tomatoes! At least the bantams can't jump as high!

#76648 - 11/29/03 07:37 PM Re: WORSE on GARDENS: Bantams, or Large Chooks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tomatoes are a favorite for both the large and small laugh

#76649 - 11/30/03 06:46 AM Re: WORSE on GARDENS: Bantams, or Large Chooks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've never had them, but I've been told that if you have a 'sacrificial green bean area' guinneas will be great in a garden - but will eat all the beans - but only the beans

#76650 - 12/04/03 05:00 AM Re: WORSE on GARDENS: Bantams, or Large Chooks
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Yah, emus too...haven't eaten a plate of fresh picked green beans in 9 years. Once in a great while I manage to hide a patch of them down behind the barn, or in the flower beds,and get to eat a few. Grin

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn